Honored Contributor

My "going-gray" plan

[ Edited ]

I have a birthday coming up ... and decided that this is the time to stop dying my hair.

I lighten my hair - so I have light blonde hair with salt/pepper rootes ... opposite of the usual darker dyed hair vs. gray roots.

I keep my hair short ... I couldn't get to the hairdresser - so I cut it myself.  Turned out shaggy - which is exactly what I want.  Actually, I like what I did better than the hairdresser's cuts.  I put some texturizer in it and it looks sort of spikey / piecey.

I think I can "naturally" work into gray hair by carefully placed trims.  If I trim the blonde a bit every week and the darker roots get longer and longer it might not look too bad.  The front of my hairline is already all white.  Down the part you can see scattered gray and brown strands mixed in the white hair.

Anyway ... that's the current plan.  Subject to change at a moment's notice.  I did my second trim yesterday.  So far, so good.  The worse that could happen is that I really mess up the cut and have to have it filed by a professional .... or I hate the color and redye.

ETA:  I'm not concerned about looing "20 years older."  Most of my friends are in their 80s and 90s ... I'll still look like the "kid."

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA  When I stopped coloring my hair, I had my hair cut very short and in no time my hair was salt & pepper and it still is.  All my pepper in underneath & the silver is on top except for the bangs which are very salt & pepper.  If you can't deal with it growing in at some point, maybe you can get a spray color to touch it up.  I never did but then there were not options to do that.  Congratulations, welcome to the Silver Foxes!  lol

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!🎊 

I also cut and color my own hair. But, mine is the opposite. It’s grey at the roots and light brown hair. So it will be harder to go grey. Going blonde is hard with darker hair. 

I think you are right about the shaggy look, it will be less noticeable. Good luck!👍 

Honored Contributor

At soon to be 69, I am just turning gray, well sort of.

I have gray strands are coming in like devil horns.  I have no gray roots.  I am known as the "She Devil" among family members & a few friends. Smiley LOL

My gray must be fragil because it breaks off before growing down.  The gray horns have been about an inch long now for about a year.  The rest of my hair is still growing.  Really strange. confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I have alopecia and am in the middle of a flare, so I have a ton of hair loss.  I've decided that if I lose all of it this time, I will not color it if it grows back in.  Frankly, I'm hoping I don't lose much more.  It's getting pretty sparse.

But your plan sounds exactly right!

Respected Contributor

Good luck hope it goes well!  

Honored Contributor

I stopped coloring my hair in my fifties even though I was not graying at that time. I just felt like putting chemicals on my fine thin hair was not doing it any favors. I have been wearing my hair in a very short pixie style for the last 15 years, so my hair is in really good condition. I am graying at this point , salt and pepper which I like, but my gray is fuzzy. I control it with the tweak'd product Restore. Controls the fuzz and makes my hair shiny. Graying can be a real problem for some women, good luck with growing out yours.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA   You sound a lot like me, but my hair is long and straight, so I can't really hide the roots.  I still have most of my natural light brown (dyed blonde since I was young), but some grays have mixed in.....mostly around my face, like you.  I also cut and color my own hair.  I'm 70, and just before a root touch up recently, I had a 75 year old friend ask me if I dye my roots a darker color than my hair.  She couldn't believe my roots weren't all gray like hers!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Re: My "going-gray" plan

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA---Wow--you sound like we could be hair twins !!!!Woman Happy My hair is grey and dark blond or light brown--have had a horrible time with haircuts-- all of them bad the last 2 years, have gone thru 7 hair dressers----sheesh---now my hair is horribly short and with cowlicks at the top, that  short hair does not want to cover. Had chemo and when my hair grew back it was a whole different beast----different color, different texture and now with taking meds, is thin and fine---a freaking nightmare!!! Been thinking that going bald and buying a couple cute wigs is the answer for me. But not coloring anymore for the cost is stupid high just to put in a few highlights-----nope, not gonna do it. Wish I was brave enough to just snip, snip, like you do !!! And btw---today is my 65th b-day !!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck with your plan!

I tried going without color for a good 6-8 months and gave it up. I have maybe 20% gray, if that. The problem is my natural color is dull/flat. It looked awful.

I work with women who are all gray and they are stunning. But I realized they are 100% gray and it compliments their natural skin tones. 

Me? Not so much!