Respected Contributor

My ongoing quest for my HG lipstick

Every time I buy a new lipstick, it takes me a while to get used to the look on me and, if it's not too horrible to live with, I'll use it until it's all gone before buying another one. However, the only lipstick I've really loved and actually wanted to purchase again and again was discontinued (don't you hate it when that happens?) so I'm forever searching for another one that will come close. I seem to be getting more misses than hits lately. A color will look great in the tube but then will usually turn blue or even ashy on my lips. If I go too warm, it will look orange.  Frustrating! Can any of you relate?

Super Contributor

Re: My ongoing quest for my HG lipstick

What type of color are you looking for?  You're not in NYC are you?  You can create your own shade at Bite Beauty Lab.  I do think there are online sites that might color match a swatch for you.  Anyway, lately, I've really been enjoying Too Faced Le Creme lipstick, the formula is outstanding.  There is a color that is called spice spice baby that appears to be a nude, but has a lot of pink in it and is a great your lips but better nude pink. Personally, I love to have maybe a million shades to chose from n the daily, but if you are only looking for one...  Hehehe!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions, BeautybytesbyCC! I'm not in NYC but I might give one of those sites a try. I'm looking for a neutral my-lips-but-better, go-with-everything shade. It's hard enough for me finding that, let alone a whole wardrobe of colors! Lol Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

My recent favorites are the Chubby Sticks from Clinique.

Trusted Contributor

I can relate.  There are very few that I repurchase if any!  MAC Hug Me works for me but its so boring...I keep repurchasing it though because it is like a lip-colored balm and always looks fine.  

Contributor

My favorites: 

Etherealle spice, flamingo, serenade & darling lipsticks(under 10 bucks e t s y) are medium MLBB shades(dark shades:Empress - great dupe for Nars Ingrid, Dark heart-great dupe for Nars Liv, Siren - oxblood red & Carnelian - soft red).

Bite beauty lip crayons(amaretto,cognac), lush lip tint Black current & luminous lipstick(pepper).

100%pure lip creamstick Butterscotch & Vino

Erzulie cosmetics Carma & Aurora (choice of 3, 5 bucks each) - Great as a blush too.

Nars Audacious lipsticks Sandra(true matte), Jeanne(hydrating) & Dominique(neither dry or hydrating)-No dupes for these shades, Truly Amazing Formula.

Tarte matte lip tint Bare.

Kat Von D evalasting liquid lipstick Vampira.

Urban Decay lipstick Love light & Speedball.

Too Faced La Creme lipstick Sweet maple & Pink chocolate.

Trusted Contributor

@Texasmouse, I have the same problem with lipsticks turning a different color on my lips from the color in the tube, although for me, it's usually a garish pink.  Most nudes are too light on me, but I finally found one that works perfectly and it's now pretty much the only lipstick I wear.  It's Urban Decay Revolution lipstick in the shade Liar.  Check it out.  The lip gloss in the same shade, which is actually more of a lacquer, is great, too.  The lipstick also comes in a sheer formula now, but I like more pigment.

Good luck in your search!

Respected Contributor

There might be a dupe for the lipstick that was discontinued. Look on google and put in the name of the lipstick and dupe. They have dupes for everthing these days. Good Luck!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy Clinique Different lipsticks. The lipsticks are grouped into categories, e.g. nudes, pinks, coral, etc. The colors online may not be accurate but the descriptions are. If I buy a lipstick I don't like, it's an easy return or exchange. Reps will help you find a lipstick type and color. Also, GWP offers contain products to try. Lipsticks are full size so there is a long time to decide if it works.

Trusted Contributor

@vac wrote:

@Texasmouse, I have the same problem with lipsticks turning a different color on my lips from the color in the tube, although for me, it's usually a garish pink.  Most nudes are too light on me, but I finally found one that works perfectly and it's now pretty much the only lipstick I wear.  It's Urban Decay Revolution lipstick in the shade Liar.  Check it out.  The lip gloss in the same shade, which is actually more of a lacquer, is great, too.  The lipstick also comes in a sheer formula now, but I like more pigment.

Good luck in your search!

This.  And what I also hate is when nudes and pinks have an opaque white-based tint.  Not natural at all, and when it get into my car and look in that true lighting, it really makes it clear when the "natural" shade lipstick looks like makeup.  It's funny how some of the nudes and "natural" lip colors can look so unnatural.  That's why I always repurchase Hug Me by MAC.  It's sheer enough that it really does look natural....just boring as heck.