Regular Contributor

Re: My nails are finally in good shape

The ring finger nail on my left hand kept splitting unless I kept it very short.  I tried many products and nothing helped until I tried OPI Nail Envy.  Not only did the splitting stop but my nails became stronger and grew longer then they have been in years. 

Honored Contributor

I love Zoya products for so many reasons.  

I use their polish, their remover and their base coat Anchor and top coat Armour although I do believe they have newer named products for the latter two.

And I see you're a *fairycatmother*, too!  Which reminds me that I need to get on my husband about making some kind of a cat tree for our two.....Cat EmbarassedCat Embarassed

Respected Contributor

Lovely, enjoy.

Regular Contributor

@beach-mom  Sounds like you're doing things right! 

Buffing can mean different things to different people. When I was young, buffing equated to using a chamois over a bit of padding. Minimal risk of damage.

Nowadays I associate it more the the buffing done in prepping for enhancements. That's going to be done with "professional" type nail files, which vary in grit. Light buffing with the appropriate grit file is going to cause minimal damage. But use of a larger grit nail file can definitely remove multiple layers of nail fairly quickly. The same area of nail is going to be buffed multiple times as the nail grows out. That's why nail techs will often leave a thin layer of product on the nail plate. They can then file down to that layer and stop, leaving the nail plate undamaged.

My personal choice is to use pure acetone. Though it is drying, it's also a very safe solvent. Since I typically was removing glitter for many years, it also meant less exposure time than I would have had with non-acetone removers. I'm absolutely terrible at remembering to oil my nails. Not good at putting on rubber gloves either.

Esteemed Contributor

Looking great!  Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

@juperier3 wrote:

Buffing can mean different things to different people. When I was young, buffing equated to using a chamois over a bit of padding. Minimal risk of damage.

Nowadays I associate it more the the buffing done in prepping for enhancements. That's going to be done with "professional" type nail files, which vary in grit. Light buffing with the appropriate grit file is going to cause minimal damage. But use of a larger grit nail file can definitely remove multiple layers of nail fairly quickly. The same area of nail is going to be buffed multiple times as the nail grows out. That's why nail techs will often leave a thin layer of product on the nail plate. They can then file down to that layer and stop, leaving the nail plate undamaged.

My personal choice is to use pure acetone. Though it is drying, it's also a very safe solvent. Since I typically was removing glitter for many years, it also meant less exposure time than I would have had with non-acetone removers. I'm absolutely terrible at remembering to oil my nails. Not good at putting on rubber gloves either.

~~~~~~~~~~

@juperier3 

I'd forgotten, but when young, I went thru a period of time where I made use of a "chamois buffer "rod" (see below)  & it made my nails GLOWING and looking really, really healthy, (before my inevitable always nail polish period)

(When men went for "manicures," they use to "chamois buff" men's nails too)

Here's an example of the "chamois "rod" I used to use, (I think after moisturizing/creaming my nails. This particular cut & paste includes a "buffing cream" 

Single Chamois "rod" is abt $8 on Amz

"Winning Nails Chamois Buffer & Buffing Cream, 1.75 Oz. Set "

( $19)  ( ~ $8 for Chamois Rod alone)

Regular Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn   This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of. Of course, they're not really aplicable for those of us that are putting some type of product on our nails. Best adherence requires that the nail surface has at least a bit of "texture" and contain minimal oil/moisture.

Honored Contributor

@juperier3 wrote:

@juperier3 - Neither am I! My mom wore them only when she was working with some potent products. I'm kind of the same way. I can probably count one hand the times I've worn them. 

My SIL's won't even wash the dishes without them!   Smiley Wink