Super Contributor

Re: My iPad went kaput ... :(

I have an IPad and a Kindle HD. The Kindle is pretty good, and great for saving all your "stuff" if it crashes. BUT the IPad has way better apps and many more of them. It also has a layout I like better. it you have Amazon prime and like using Amazon, the Kindle is handy. But everything you can do on the Kindle you can do on the IPad. My experience with technology including laptops is that they tend to crash and burn after a few years. So a $100 credit is pretty generous. Now when my IPad crashed I Was told I could get a replacement for $249...I was about 6 months out of warranty. I ended up getting that waived and got a free replacement. Same with my Kindle, because I spend a lot on Amazon. But my Kindle got fixed with help. Did you try doing a hard reset on your IPad? That fixed my Kindle. But not the IPad. It helps to be pushy.
Respected Contributor

On 6/23/2014 Genny1 said: My original iPad is over 3 yrs old and still going strong and I update it once a week....I got a iPad air for Christmas.....I wanted the video/camera feature. my son also has his original when they first came out....maybe 4 yrs ago? . I would take it to an Apple store.
She did take it to the Apple Store. That is the ""Genius Bar"" to which she referred.
Super Contributor

I've had both (with phones, too) and just prefer the OS on Apple over Android. If any of my Apple products bit the dust, I'd just get a new one. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd be more unhappy switching to an Android OS again. Personal preference only. :-)

Super Contributor

On 6/23/2014 Genny1 said: My original iPad is over 3 yrs old and still going strong and I update it once a week....I got a iPad air for Christmas.....I wanted the video/camera feature. my son also has his original when they first came out....maybe 4 yrs ago? . I would take it to an Apple store.
How do you update?
Respected Contributor

My DH's did the same thing. He googled his problem and there were suggestions for him to do. Short story, it worked for him and has not had any problems since. I would exhaust all of the info on the web before I bought a new one.

Super Contributor

On 6/23/2014 Hoovermom said:

My DH's did the same thing. He googled his problem and there were suggestions for him to do. Short story, it worked for him and has not had any problems since. I would exhaust all of the info on the web before I bought a new one.

Agree -- I just google my problem and there are a lot of helpful responses.

Super Contributor

I love, love love My MSN Surface. Its just like a mini computer with Windows 8.1. Just spectacular.

Honored Contributor

On 6/23/2014 Mustangshar said: 800-275-2273. This is number for Apple service per forum.

I don't have my paperwork handy to check the number, but I'd definitely phone them. I've always gotten superior help. They try very hard to keep their customers happy.

Additionally, on their main website: (800) APL-CARE (800-275-2273) and their main number
1-800-MY-APPLE (800-692-7753)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 6/23/2014 Mustangshar said: I was just googling and it says the life expectancy is like 2.5 years?? Yikes...now my mini I use everyday, but my full size is over 2 years now.

I know folks who are still using the original iPad (2001) and the iPad 2 (2011), even though they can't update all software or apps in some cases. Most Apple products last longer than we really want them to.{#emotions_dlg.laugh} (I'm still using a 2003 iMac as an extra computer in my home office.)

The 2.5 years sounds like the average turnaround time for users who want to upgrade rather than those whose devices have kicked the bucket.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I think the life expectancy of electronics depends on how you treat them. iPads might be used a lot outdoors, in the sun. Electronics hate the heat. iPhones dropped numerous times...not enough to break, but those delicate workings are shaken around & get wonky. It's not the product. Apple makes beautiful, reliable machines. I put money where my mouth is...Yes, I have stock in the company.