Honored Contributor

My hair stylist left the salon

I am so sad.  I finally find a great stylist and loved how she cut my hair and there had to be some kind of disagreement and she left the hair salon that she recently started at.  She gave me a business card on the first visit and she wrote down her cell phone so I called her.  She said she goes to people's homes but we are over 20 miles from each and who knows how long that would last.  So on Friday I have an appt. with another stylist which is $8 more.  I hope she cuts well.  She is 3rd generation of hair stylists.  I like the salon because they massage your scalp.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: My hair stylist left the salon

kat---my sympathies--I have gone thru the same thing with my girl of over 15 years due to surgery and a new girl that cut my hair great 2x, and then left for AZ--I have had 3 bad haircuts in a row now---and am paying over $25 more too. Just makes me crazy!!!! Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

That was my story about 15 years ago, best haircut and finishing style I ever had in my life and by summer she had left the salon. The owner told me she was not reliable and he could not count on her to work on Fridays and Saturdays. If I had owned the salon, I would have let her work when she wanted, she was that good. People came from all over the place to have her cut their hair. I heard she went back to NJ and I found another salon closer to home, I wonder how many other customers the salon owner lost because he had rules.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am so sad.  I finally find a great stylist and loved how she cut my hair and there had to be some kind of disagreement and she left the hair salon that she recently started at.  She gave me a business card on the first visit and she wrote down her cell phone so I called her.  She said she goes to people's homes but we are over 20 miles from each and who knows how long that would last.  So on Friday I have an appt. with another stylist which is $8 more.  I hope she cuts well.  She is 3rd generation of hair stylists.  I like the salon because they massage your scalp.

@Katcat1, maybe she'll find work at another salon. It can't hurt to keep in touch with her.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry.  That's happened to most of us at some point over the years.  

It's happened to me at least 4 times!  The first time the stylist decided to become a court reporter.  Other times it was because of disagreements.

The problem was (unlike with you) I was left high and dry (so to speak).

It's supposed to be a rule (I've been told 'frowned upon' for the stylist to contact HER patrons ahead of time and take them with her).

The last time it happened my stylist tried to sneak out the cards that had each person's name, address, etc (and the ingredients to their specific color).

The owner of the salon (I heard) threatened to sue the stylist.  I have no idea if it is possible or true, but the bottom line was each time I was on my own.

It's happened to me (similar) with my dentist.  He was sued by his wife (divorce) and closed his business.  In that case it worked out for me because I went to my daughter's dentist who is amazing.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you.  I understand how upsetting it is to trust someone else with your hair.

Please let us know how it goes.  We'll all be thinking of you and (fingers crossed).

Trusted Contributor

I understand!  I sadly lost mine about 3 years ago because she passed away at the age of 54!  She had done me for about the same amount of time as yours.  

I was lucky enought to find another shop closer to my home and with a girl that I am happy with but I am paying a little more now!  

My hair is so important to me!   I'm sure you will be able to find a new stylist soon.   Good luck!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I know how you feel, I went throught that too.  I found the perfect stylist for me, that woman could do blow outs and precision cuts like no one else.  I have naturally curly hair and she got it dead straight and it would last until I washed it.  And then she left that shop, she also said she was doing hair in her customers homes but I wasn't comfortable with that.  I don't know why.  I stayed at the shop and the stylist I have now is experienced and very good and a lovely woman.  But I still long for the other one.  I only get blow outs on very special occasions now.

Respected Contributor

i have total sympathy for you.  we just moved to a new town. I have so far called a couple of salons looking for someone to perm my hair and so far 2 salons have told me "sorry, "we don't do perms".  really???  are perms that outdated???   i'm not even talking about a poodle one. 

i get a real loose wavy one. 

2 hours back to my previous girl.  just don't want to do it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1..... i’ve been going to the same girl for about five years now. I love her! She left the place I found her within the first year, but she said she come to my house, and she’s been doing that ever since. She lives over 20 miles away, but has been very reliable and showing up a few minutes before our appointment time every time. I’d give your stylist a chance, before deciding it’s not going to work out

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve been very lucky.I’ve had the same stylist for 29 years. When I first went to him he was 21. He just turned 51!! I’ve followed him around to different salons until he finally bought his own.

He is great.I don’t know what I’d do without him.I was traveling about 40 minutes each way to go to his salon.About 5 years ago he bought a house about 10 minutes from my house.He suggested I come to his house instead of his shop.Thats worked out great.DH & son use him too.His mom always makes us coffee & muffins .

He even does my hair on his day off if I need it done.We have become good friends over the years.I don’t know what I’d do without him!!