Respected Contributor

Re: My hair looks like a Clown's wig

I really hate that you see your natural hair that way. It needs some love. I embrace the hell out of mine rather than fry it any longer. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1 

I am trying very hard to embrace my curls, but....I got used to seeing myself with silky smooth hair for many years.  It was how I had always wanted it to be, but never was.

When I was younger, I had lush, beautiful curls and wore a long shag.  But, age and time have changed my curls and the curl pattern, and it's more difficult to maintain.

I've resolved to get through the summer without smoothing and hoping for the best.

Humidity removes the definition of the curls, and that's what makes it look unkempt.

I'm just trying to learn to live with it again.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Lali1 

I am trying very hard to embrace my curls, but....I got used to seeing myself with silky smooth hair for many years.  It was how I had always wanted it to be, but never was.

When I was younger, I had lush, beautiful curls and wore a long shag.  But, age and time have changed my curls and the curl pattern, and it's more difficult to maintain.

I've resolved to get through the summer without smoothing and hoping for the best.

Humidity removes the definition of the curls, and that's what makes it look unkempt.

I'm just trying to learn to live with it again.

I live in very humid conditions and I use a mousse and strong hold gel to lock the curls in. Scrunch those in to wet hair and leave until completely dry. Then scrunch out the stiffness with a hair oil.Curls aren't just perfect on their own they need help. 

Respected Contributor

Curly hair frizzes because it is seeking out moisture. The more moisturized your hair is the less it will frizz. You need to deep condition once a week to get your hair back to healthy. Straightening and all the anti frizz treatments cause damage to the hair. I haven't straightened or colored my hair in about 3 years. It could be more but I didn't keep track. Just this year I have noticed my curls are more defined and my hair is starting to look more like it did when I was young. Except for the grey of course. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

The only difference is, it is not multi colored Cat LOL

Heat and humidity have set in now.  It's shocking what can happen to one head of hair!

Decided to try to go back to my natural curls for now given the smoothing treatment I've been getting takes a couple of hours in the salon. 

All I can think when I look in the mirror is, YIKES!

Glad I'm not going anywhere. Cat LOL

@Witchy Woman   Please see some of my long posts/replies to the previous thread here re: FRIZZ

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   Dear Witchy Woman,  I too have very curly hair and have fought it all of my life.  Graduated high school in 1974 and know all about the long hair parted in the middle.     Recently I asked my sister to trim the ends of my hair for me and she cut off all of the length.  Now I look like Little Orphan Annie.     If they can put a man on the moon, then why .....   SC Heart

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ughhh, bad hair, me too! My hair is awful, wavy-curly, type 2C, coarse, wiry, dry like hay- in its normal state.  And it all grows and flops toward right onto my face, so I either have to keep it short or clip it away, otherwise I look like a terrier. I can't just leave it as is. 

In winter, I can iron it and it's a little better.  In summer, all I can do is wet it to dripping wet, finger-rake out any snarls, do NOT comb it, use a strong hold gel, and scrunch it. That keeeps it curly-ish (although it keeps expanding all day). Best advice I got!  Keep trying different things. Go to Naturallycurly. Com for ideas!  Great website!  HTH!!