Respected Contributor

I too am searching for the answer to thinning hair.

I've come to think it's not one reason or the same cause for all.

For one person it could be illness, hormones, genetics, pony tails, or hair product chemicals?

Various replies say a particular supplement, device or dermatologist helped the problem.

I was watching a PBS programs on the lead in the Flint Mi water.

One of the residents said the first indication that something was wrong hair loss. Interesting......... 

Frequent Contributor

Several years ago my hair started coming out by the handful in the shower. I was so devastated by this, as I have always had thick hair. Eventually, I saw my general practitioner, a dermatologist, and an endocrinologist. I needed to know why my was falling out and  would I be bald. The three doctors all did bloodwork  that was unique to their specialty. They all told me the same thing. I was diagnosed with telegen effluvium.  It's hair loss related to stress. However, it would be a stressor that occurred approximately three months ago and not a current stressor. It's too important to just give a few facts about, so please google it for yourself. I repeatedly lose hair on different parts of my head,but it does eventually grow back. My hair today looks good, but I know it is thinner than it was before I got on this crazy merry-go-round! There's lots of different reasons for hair loss. A tele-conference with your doctor might be a good place to start. I wish you the best of luck. Hair loss can be traumatic.

Honored Contributor

Start taking liquid collagen everyday.  I'm currently using one I bought on Amazon called Aminorip.  I Tablespoon daily.  It's cherry flavored, pretty sweet so I chase it with a drink of water afterwards.  You could also add some true bone broth to your diet.  Make sure it's made from roasted bones and not just stock or reconstituted boullion that they decided to rename bone broth on the label.  There are fakes out there, believe me. 

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox 

(I may have the wrong poster but) Didn't you mention having a keratin treatment that didn't last as long as you thought it should? If so, that could be a reason.

Chemicals react differently on different individuals.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 

Hi and my last keratin treatment was way back in October and I have been doing them for over 15 years.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: My hair is thinning

[ Edited ]

EVERYone's hair is going to thin if they live long enough.  It's part of aging, some sooner than others.  A different cut and styling can help camouflage the thinning.  I've recently discovered the Makeover Guy on You Tube.  OMGosh, he's a hair god!  AND funny AND good looking Smiley Happy  I just did two very minor changes to the way I dry my hair  (based on what I saw on his videos) and the results were great!  My husband even noticed and commented later "and this was just from watching a guy on You Tube?"  Wish I could make the trip to MN.  Maybe instead of going back to Vegas next year....humm Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

At 65, you would expect thinning of the hair.  It usually starts earlier.  However, it happens slowly and over time.  If it is more sudden, that's another story.

Are you dieting  by any chance?  I have gone on very low calorie diets a couple times.  After about 3 months, my hair would start to thin significantly.  Every 3 months you enter a new stage of growth/loss, that's why it would take that time for it to happen.  People who have weight loss surgery often get significant thinning of the hair.

That can also be why illness can cause it - low caloric intake.

I had beautiful, thick, wavy, auburn hair.  I received compliments from perfect strangers all the time.  The thickness and texture have changed gradually over time.  I miss my hair!

If one is dieting, it will come back after calories are increased.  Just another thought.

Hyacinth

Contributor

A few years ago I was diagnosed with RA and told that Celebrex might help.  I have been on that all this time and during that time I started to experience slight hair loss (thinning) and gained about 12 lbs.. After all this time I decided to look into their other side effects as my pain was just soso to my surprise it causes thinning hair and weight gain. I stopped taking the pills about a week ago and I’m starting to lose weight. Too early to tell about the hair..  I have been taking Tylenol for the pain and it is helping somewhat.  I know it’s not wise to self diagnos but I see my MD in a couple of days so I’ll see what he has to say.  I am in my early 70s but I remember my mother saying she only took Tylenol. I will see what my doc says,but maybe something you are taking is causing. The same side effects.

Respected Contributor

I just wanted to chime in a lot of women do better once they start on Iron and Biotin. FIRST have your iron levels checked, you only want to to take iron if you truly need it.

Also, a TBSP or two of Molassas a day is really supposed to help with hair loss, it's worth a shot!

Respected Contributor

Find either a naturopath or someone who does biomeridian testing where you live. I knew someone years ago whose husband had health concerns and doctors were of no help but a (painless) biomeridian test pinpointed the issue. Hope things improve for you soon.