Super Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I have a lot of hair issues at the moment.  Mostly problems of breakage caused by sleeping habits.  I just ordered this stuff called Viviscal.  It's supposed to help promote hair growth.  I hope it will help.  Good luck in your search.  

I spent $200 on Viviscal, didnt help one bit, but I wish you better luck than I had. 

@Shelbelle @Grouchomarx  I've used Viviscal for years and it works just fine for me. Waist length hair that has a loose wave.

Respected Contributor

It's hormonal and just aging. Great to try things to improve it and also to accept aging gracefully.  So blessed to be alive and healthy! 

Honored Contributor

I've always had very, extremely fine, thin hair. Always! I found by keeping my hair cut short, colored and highlighted has "thickened" up my hair shafts therefore making my hair appear to be thicker. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Hello all and thanks for the response, I washed my hair with my usual shampoo today, Pantene Rose Water Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner and wow my hair feels totally different.it feels much thicker. I wonder if the Matrix Total Lengths I used the other caused it to feel thinner

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I swear by hair vitamins, and have taken them for 20 years.

It can be a combination of things that can cause thinning and hairl loss, like medications that we can be taking, genetics, illness, surgery, and stress.

I have had my hair thin due to illness and age, and stress had caused it to literally fall out, too.

I have found that taking the supplement Biotin has helped me.

It took a long time to help my hair, as in taking it for a few years.

I worked up to the maximum dose of it over time, and my primary care doctor knows that I take it to help with my hair.

My eyebrows have also improved, and my nails grow fast now. 

Valued Contributor

@Ceci   I'm glad your hair is healthy now.  I have used minoxidil for about 7 years now, since I hit menopause and had a thyroid issue. I use the equate version from Walmart and sometimes order from ebay.  I use the men's version because that is what Paula Begoun uses. It is yet another iron in the fire of beauty routines, lol. 

@morganjen   Could you please tell me what hair vitamins are you currently using?  Thank you.

I also use the lyapko roller and roll my hair almost everyday.  It is a larger version of a dermaroller. I do extra rolls at the front of my hair because that is where it feels thinner. I love it as I think it has helped with my scalp health. I think Tonya Zavasta has a video on it. I got mine from ebay years ago. 

Respected Contributor

I've been doing a lot of things to help stop my hair breakage and improve thinning.  One of them is to use a pre-shampoo treatment. I got the one QVC sells called Aquis Prime water defense prewash spray.  I really think it's helping with my hair texture.  My hair is looking SO much better, thicker and healthier and has body and bounce.  Before it was looking thinner and dull. I really do think this stuff is helping.  I don't think it helps with the breakage in a few spots because that is caused by how I sleep.  I got satin sleep caps to wear.  They stay on very well, I was shocked.  I feel like they make me sleep better, or I get deeper sleep.  I don't know why but it's an obvservation.  I will need a few months to see if they help with breakage though.  I also use a scalp massager in the shower.  I do Olaplex pre shampoo mask once a weeek and the Tweak'd oil once a week as an overnight mask. It seems I am devoting my life to trying for better hair!  I feel like now the only thing people see are your eyes and your hair and I really eed better hair for my self confidence.

Respected Contributor

So many things factor into hair thinning.  It might be temporary, it might be permanent.

It can be age-related, medical, stress, dietary changes, thyroid. Sometimes there just is not a clear cut answer.  I have tried to accept it, though it's hard.  I've tried many different things mentioned here and have found none of them work for me.  Hopefully you will have better luck.

Trusted Contributor

@beautybeeI cycle through a few brands. I am currently taking Consult Beaute Caps.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Re: My hair is thinning

[ Edited ]

Joyce Giraud is on SHQ today, her hair supplement has very impressive ingredients.