Honored Contributor

Re: My hair is thinning a little.

[ Edited ]

@cotton4me wrote:

My scalp became itchy when I ate anything with wheat, which also caused hair loss.  When I stopped eating wheat and began taking Andrew Lessman’s Hair Skin and Nail formula I noticed a big difference.  I’ve read that vitamins are effective only when you’re deficient in the first place.  All I know is that they worked for me.     

@cotton4me 

Do you have gluten intolerance? Itchy scalp is a symptom of it sometimes. I don't have any problems with gluten but I don't eat wheat products just to avoid the gluten. My scalp itches anyway...lately it's been getting worse. Not sure what's causing it. Drives me nuts. Only itches on the very top.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@cotton4me wrote:

My scalp became itchy when I ate anything with wheat, which also caused hair loss.  When I stopped eating wheat and began taking Andrew Lessman’s Hair Skin and Nail formula I noticed a big difference.  I’ve read that vitamins are effective only when you’re deficient in the first place.  All I know is that they worked for me.     

@cotton4me 

Do you have gluten intolerance? Itchy scalp is a symptom of it sometimes. I don't have any problems with gluten but I don't eat wheat products just to avoid the gluten. My scalp itches anyway...lately it's been getting worse. Not sure what's causing it. Drives me nuts. Only itches on the very top.

@SilleeMee  I might have gluten intolerance but I've never been tested.  I say that because rye bothers me too which also contains gluten.  I only use gluten free products.  I wonder if you're allergic to something, which can be hard to track down.  It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. 

I have a lot of food sensitivities and used to kept a food journal with everything I ate along with any reactions.  It helped me pinppoint things that were bothering me.  For instance, one time I ate red snapper and got a fever blister.  I didn't know what caused it at the time.  However,.6 months later I ate it again and got another fever blister.  I checked my food journal and realized it was the red snapper so I never ate it again.  

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@cotton4me wrote:

@cotton4me 

@SilleeMee  I might have gluten intolerance but I've never been tested.  I say that because rye bothers me too which also contains gluten.  I only use gluten free products.  I wonder if you're allergic to something, which can be hard to track down.  It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. 

I have a lot of food sensitivities and used to kept a food journal with everything I ate along with any reactions.  It helped me pinppoint things that were bothering me.  For instance, one time I ate red snapper and got a fever blister.  I didn't know what caused it at the time.  However,.6 months later I ate it again and got another fever blister.  I checked my food journal and realized it was the red snapper so I never ate it again.  

That's a good idea to keep a food diary. I don't but maybe I should start. I think my itchy scalp and hair loss is part of my scleroderma...those are symptoms of it, I'm afraid. But food allergies could just as well be another cause...you just never know. @cotton4me 

Honored Contributor

My hair has thinned some with ageing, but not noticeable to anyone but me so far. My elderly aunt always had a thick head of dark hair, she is silver now. I noticed the last time I visited her that her hair is thinning on the sides so much I could see her scalp. I think her hairdresser knows better than to mention it at this point. My aunt has always been a screamer.

Honored Contributor

I’ve noticed some thinning on top...aging, lack of my usual hormones, etc. Bumble & Bumble makes some great spray on styling products for thinning hair. I spray them on my wet hair...making a few parts just in the top area...seems to be adding a little heft after drying w/ blow dryer/brush. 

Respected Contributor

After going thru Menopause my hair has thinned. But it sure has gotten thick on my chin. 😂😂😂 I do find Andrew Lessmans Hair, Skin & Nails Supplement does help and I also drink his Collagen it also helps. I am soon to be 70. 😱
Honored Contributor

Most women, as we age, go through the thinning of hair but it differs from woman to woman as to how much.  I have slight thinning on top near the back by my cowlick that I hate.  However, I use a thickening product that works for me.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@cotton4me  Many people have a gluten sensitivity and don't even know it, but if you think you do (and if rye bothers you then you are probably right) have you thought about gluten being in your hair products?

Gluten is a protein, and it is found is many, many products, not just food.

They are also very clever in what they call it, so it is hard to tell if body or hair care products have gluten in it.  Your itchy scalp and thinning hair could be due to your products.

Just a thought Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

@cotton4me  Many people have a gluten sensitivity and don't even know it, but if you think you do (and if rye bothers you then you are probably right) have you thought about gluten being in your hair products?

Gluten is a protein, and it is found is many, many products, not just food.

They are also very clever in what they call it, so it is hard to tell if body or hair care products have gluten in it.  Your itchy scalp and thinning hair could be due to your products.

Just a thought Smiley Happy

@gabstoomuch  Thanks so much for mentioning that.  I'll have to check.  

Trusted Contributor

While I have always had thick hair, I do have a place at the top back of my head where I had lost hair and just had little stubbles.  It looked like a cowlick.  I tried the Tweakd Ancient Rituals Rejuvenating Treatment Oil and the shampoo.  Because I used both, I can't say if it's one or both products that made a difference but hair is growing there again.  I just got my hair cut and the hairdresser said it was definitely growing in.  

On the downside, I think my scalp is drier.