Trusted Contributor

Re: My hair! (and not in a good way)

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@patbz wrote:

Since Sept 2019, right before Covid, I haven't been to a stylist.  I wear my hair mid back to shoulder length.  I watched several hair cutting videos and bought the proper tools from Amazon, including a hair cutting template ( with leveler bubble).  I cut my sides and DH does the back and it always looks good.  I stopped coloring my hair 14 years ago and I love the silver color and now its naturally wavey/curly. Btw, DH did go back to a stylist once salons reopened but now prefers my giving him trims.  The point is a simple hair cut isn't rocket science and you (maybe) should learn to do your own If you need help, ask a friend or a spouse.

I would rather pay a styist to cut my hair. 

me too - that's one thing I will pay for.  I can let it go a bit between cuts, but it's not easy for me to do.  And I wouldn't really wouldn't trust my husband to help, LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I would love to have a short-short cut! @GoneButNotForgotten , Hope yours turns out perfect!

My hair is normal (no curl) but dense. That isn't the issue. The issue for me is that my hair grows quickly! If I had a short cut, I would be at the salon - (ha! if I could find one!!) every month.

I've been cutting my own. The last time I went (well over a year & a half ago) to a very expensive salon, and talked/discussed about 1/2 hour of what I wanted, showed photos, etc., it was the worst cut of my life! I couldn't catch what she was doing!

Last week I gave myself a very nice cut! I started at the top, ending above my shoulders in layers. I did the cut on dry hair.

Once a stylist did that on me, and that cut was fabulous! But that was once. Her cuts after that were just not consistent!

It may be that some of the problem when you go back to stylists is that, instead of cutting & thinking about what they are doing, they're too interested in talking.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also don't appreciate the "old ladies with short hair" comments ...

I went to the same stylist for years. She was experienced and had been cutting hair for 30+ years. Then, suddenly, it's like she forgot how to cut hair. She gave me one bad cut, and I thought she had a bad day. But no, she gave me a 2nd bad cut - and I gave her another chance and got a 3rd awful cut.

I've been looking for a new stylist for almost a year now. I'm frustrated. Going to another different salon next week, my 5th new stylist in recent months. I'm ready to give up and grow my hair out to a ponytail.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@Knit-Chick wrote:

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@patbz wrote:

Since Sept 2019, right before Covid, I haven't been to a stylist.  I wear my hair mid back to shoulder length.  I watched several hair cutting videos and bought the proper tools from Amazon, including a hair cutting template ( with leveler bubble).  I cut my sides and DH does the back and it always looks good.  I stopped coloring my hair 14 years ago and I love the silver color and now its naturally wavey/curly. Btw, DH did go back to a stylist once salons reopened but now prefers my giving him trims.  The point is a simple hair cut isn't rocket science and you (maybe) should learn to do your own If you need help, ask a friend or a spouse.

I would rather pay a styist to cut my hair. 

me too - that's one thing I will pay for.  I can let it go a bit between cuts, but it's not easy for me to do.  And I wouldn't really wouldn't trust my husband to help, LOL

Yes, for me also! Here's the money! Where's the stylist?

(And you're right, @Knit-Chick , forget DH!)

Esteemed Contributor

@retiredatlast Thank you for posting what I was thinking!   Jeez, old ladies, really????

I had breast cancer at age 54 (which I don't consider "old") and I had a full thick wild head of hair at the time.   Well those of you who've read my story before please forgive me for repeating it..........after chemo and total hair loss, my hair grew back fairly the same color and curls but not nearly as thick.  I have kept my hair in a short cute pixie style ever since in homage to those who still fight the disease.  I love it now, it's easy for me and makes me look younger than this 61 year "old lady" Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I struggle with my hair, short or long. It is wavy and when air dried, all the shorter hairs on top frizz and cannot be tamed. Gel, spray, wax, they will not stay down. I wear my hair in a ponytail most days but I get tired of that. I have a long face and I don't think a ponytail is very flattering. My hairdresser is no help. When she blows it dry, I leave with a puffed out frizzy mess. I want to go to the makeover guy that is on u tube, but I know that will never happen. 

Super Contributor

One bad haircut is one too many imo. Perhaps your hairdresser was not "at her best" that day & should have called in sick. You may want to do some research & find someone new.

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy  I have a big basket full of scrunches. They are so much nicer than the ones years ago. 

Honored Contributor

I spent months looking at hair cut pictures on pinterest.  I finally found what I wanted its a french bob with bangs.  I just have 1 more layer to grow out from my pixie and it will be the same length.  Yeah me.

I suggest looking on pinterest if anyone is seaching for a new do.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten I hope that you find your lucky charm hairdresser that gets it just right.  I used to go to one I love, she got married and moved away.  I then found another I loved, he passed away.  He was always saying to me that women with curly hair want straight, straight wants curly, black hair wants to be blonde and so on.  He would say this is what keeps us in business.  Good luck