Esteemed Contributor

Re: My friend was told to lose 20 lbs by a new doctor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

Personally if my Dr was a blubber butt, and told me I needed to lose weight, I would ask him why he walks around full of blubber?

Go ahead and say that to her or him, if it will make you feel better. But then the smart thing to do would be to consider whether the doctor is correct.

@BalletBabe

@suzyQ3  I was just kidding around but I seriously would have an issue with a fat Dr telling me to lose weight.   I am lucky as I have been active my whole life and never had an issue, but in my eyes it was like me as a dance instructor.  I brought healthy food to eat and tried to set an example, because too many of these kids starve themselves.  My Dr is very thin so I would not have that problem.   In fact I don't think I ever had a fat Dr.  

Respected Contributor

I had a doctor, who had hair down to her waist, tell me not to get so upset when I lost my hair due to chemo.

It was all I could do not tomake a comment back to her. I chose to take a higher path, but I was hurt.

Honored Contributor

@maestra  So why were you upset with the doctor? It was certainly not her fault you lost your hair. You were simply jealous that she had hair and you didn't  so you projected that to disliking her. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 Your premise that I was 'jealous' of the doctor having hair while I had lost mine due to chemo is beyond laughable; you are to be pitied for your profound lack of insight

No, it was due to her insensitivity- I had been forewarned that my dx was including a tough tx, so I was prepared. It was an opportunity to purchase 2 Hermes scarves to wear around my head, in lieu of a scratchy wig. 

My MD's were supportive and available even when my HGB tanked at 7.6 w/no Neupagin (sic).

@151949 wrote:

@maestra  So why were you upset with the doctor? It was certainly not her fault you lost your hair. You were simply jealous that she had hair and you didn't  so you projected that to disliking her. 

Honored Contributor

Then why did you write that? Whatever!

Valued Contributor

My doctor told me this past week it was time for me to start losing the rest of the baby weight I had not lost after the birth of my daughter.  It has been just about a year.  Did I know that I should get the rest of the weight off? Yes. But her point to me was it would relieve pressure on my joints and being 40, explained it is harder to lose and much easier to gain.  My family has a history of obesity and RA and osteoporosis.  By her saying this to me only reinforced what I knew I should do, but it also kicked my butt to get on it and stop crabbing about it.  A doctor or nurse's job is not to ignore health hazards, and being overweight isn't good for your health.  If you smoke, and they do not remind you the importance of quitting or offer assistance, they are not doing their job.  I am not sure why a doctor explaining the truth about being overweight to someone is bad.  If your feelings are "hurt" by what they say, maybe it is like the saying goes: the truth hurts sometimes.  Personally, I look forward to the challenge of getting down 20lbs this year! Realistically I will be satified with 15 though. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Maestra-I am beside myself on this one with "that" poster and the insensitivity on her part I can't stand it!...somebody must be having a really bad day.....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

What a sick, nasty, mean-spirited reply. In all the years I have posted on the internet, I have never read anything so cruel and horrible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

I had a doctor, who had hair down to her waist, tell me not to get so upset when I lost my hair due to chemo.

It was all I could do not tomake a comment back to her. I chose to take a higher path, but I was hurt.

@maestra, I hear you. And don't be hurt by the horrific reply from "that" poster. Clearly, she has no filter.

Honored Contributor

@JobGirl wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The problem is that most doctors know NOTHING about how to actually lose weight. 

And many are overweight.  Let me assure you.  I see Dr.'s for my job every day.

There are about 20% of physicians who are in decent shape and truly watch their weight.

I am always amazed at how many overweight  Medical Assistants are out there

I'm not  talking 10-20lbs either

ITA

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"