Contributor

Re: My friend was told to lose 20 lbs by a new doctor

Perhaps your friend is happy with her weight. If she is then she needs to tell her doctor that. Sometimes doctors want women, especially older women, to obtain an unreachable goal. There are studies that show that people over 65 live longer with a little extra weight than under weight people, normal weight people or obese people.

But even if she does want and need to lose weight, I can understand that it isn't fun to hear. She will have to decide for herself if she wants to lose 20 pounds, 10 pounds, or none at all.. She does have a choice and she should discuss her wants with her doctor.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes, I think they just "recite from the rule book"............I was once told that I was OVERWEIGHT...........at 103 pounds.    OK, maybe 5 pounds over the MINIMUM.    I am short, but have broad shoulders, and a wide (east to west) hip bone structure.    In other words, I am not "petite"..............

After the doctor and nurse got thru yelling at me.............when I checked out at the reception desk...........the clerk continued the harangue........in front of the whole waiting room......................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant wrote:

A friend of mine started seeing a new Internist. At the initial exam she was told by the doctor she would like to see her lose 20 pounds by the end of the year. The doctor also gave her materials on the dangers of excess weight especially carried around the stomach. My friend does need to lose 20 pounds. She was upset by the doctors directness. She said she wasn't rude, just blunt.  I am 63 and weigh less than I did in college. I don't understand all the women in America who are profoundly overweight and do not unerstand the health risks it can cause.  We are quick to say a woman is too skinny if she is 20 pounds underweight, but take offense at being told to lose 20 pounds. It's a health issue.

@ellaphant Not to be rude, but this is your friend that you put on a shopping board.  A doctor appt. should be kept private between friends if your friend wanted to share what the doctor said.  If I was your friend and it was me displayed on this shopping board I'd be embarrassed and hurt that you would tell the world  about the appointment.  wow!  what some people think of posting.  

Honored Contributor

Over a year ago, my husband was told he was borderline diabetic and could avoid that by dropping some weight. My dad was diabetic. He had to have shots. It was expensive. I reminded my husband of my dad's experiences. (Plus the blood count testing). My husband immediately went on low carb and lost the weight. His next doctor visit he surprised his doctor. His doctor was really pleasantly surprised. My husband said, why, you told me to. His doctor said, no one does anything about it.

So maybe the reminder about the health risks should be brought up, when it's suggested for someone to lose weight. How you do it, is up to you. If you do it, is up to you. When you do it, is up to you.

Reread about my dad's diabetes in the first paragraph. If you had to go through all that, you'd do what the doctor says.

Just my opinion

Honored Contributor

It's hard to comment on this because I am sure there are many more factors involved.  Your friend may have health issues and the doctor felt that she would benefit greatly by losing the weight.  Perhaps, these health issues are in her family and she does not have the problems yet but exrtra weight could bring them on.  

Weight is a touchy subject and I doubt that there are many of us who are not sensitive about this. Whether we are underweight or overweight.  It is hard to acknowledge and accept and it is even harder to hear what we think is criticisim (and often is) from others. Sometimes we think we are being criticzed when in essence the comments are made to help,such as in in this case, they are made by a doctor who wishes to keep his patient healthy.  

I have been on both ends of the weight issue. I have been both underweight and overweight and been the subject of ciriticism for both.  It is very hurtful.  The underweight was not my fault -- health issues.  I was made fun of and speculated --- is she bulimic, etc?  The overweight --- I was going through some things --- emotionally --- and lost control of my eating.  I was ridiculed then also --- comments like -- thunder thighs, etc.

No one really knows what is going on with a person so it is not right to say --- why is he or she fat or skinny?  Don't they have willpower, etc?  It's not always the case.  Health factors are many times involved and some times people have no control over these issues.

I am sure the friend was hurt by the doctor's comments but I would imagine that the doctor had the person's best interests at heart and maybe after she has had time to digest the facts, she will feel better about the interest the doctor has taken.  Some doctors do not take much interest and do only the minimum.  So, I hope for the best for the friend and hope she can get past her hurt and move forward.  What she decides to do with the advice is up to her and what she feels is best for her.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I am sure your friend's feelings were hurt if she feels she looks fine at her current weight.  HEr feelings might be hurt even worse if she found out her "friend" was posting about her experience on a public bulletin board.  Perhaps you should be talking with her about what her doctor told her.

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised at many of these comments. Do people not realize by now excessive weight, even 5 lbs over, is the root cause of many health issues or can exacerbate existing health conditions, especially if the weight is centered around the midsection, and what other conditions/risk factors the individual has ? I doubt any doctor would recommend weight loss simply for superficial reasons (I.e. Looks)- they are concerned with the health implications only!  Even 5 lbs can make difference in medication doses or even the difference between having to take a medication or not depending on the condition, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The problem is that most doctors know NOTHING about how to actually lose weight. 

I disagree. It doesn't take a medical degree to know that eating less and moving more will make you lose weight. It's just that it takes more work to maintain a healthy weight. 

So I'm going to assume, Tsukiko, that you've never had a problem with weight management. Am I correct?

Honored Contributor

I have some dear friends who truly need to lose weight.....one already has health issues which could be improved with weight loss.  How I wish that their doctor would tell them they need to lose weight.  They know they need to, but I think hearing it, in a direct manner, from the doctor, might encourage them to finally do something.  I worry for them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a lifetime member of Weight Watchers, after losing 108 pounds, I feel I have some knowledge of weight issues. One doctor made fun of me, saying he laughed when he saw me cross country skiing at my elevated weight. Then he offered me diet pills, i.e., uppers, while chastising me.

Here's a news bulletin to doctors and everyone else who feels it necessary to criticize overweight people, mostly women I might add. We know we're fat! Most of us would like to get rid of that extra weight. Some of us actually will do it, as I did. And by the way, I returned to that doctor who made fun of me and offered me drugs. He didn't recognize me until he looked at my chart. He was stunned and asked how I did it. I replied, "I went to Weight Watchers, where I got the support I needed and you, Doctor, are fired!"