Honored Contributor

My first Tretinoin Experience

I got the Tretinoin Micro from All Day Chemist a couple of weeks ago.  My plan was to start with once a week, but I forgot on Monday, so it was actually a week and a half between uses.  Nothing.  No irritation, no peeling.  No, I wasn't expecting any immediate results, just surprised at how well my skin tolerates it.  As I had heard, it's a little gritty going on.  I'm thinking I'll bump it up to every other night.  

I read in another thread you're not supposed to wear anything else over/under it, and I like my serums and night creams, so I doubt I'll ever use it every day.  I'm thinking I'll use it every other day until I run out and then try the non-micro version.  Since you don't use any other product with it, I shouldn't have any trouble waiting th 30 minutes after washing my face to put it on before I go to bed.  Once again, I would start with once a week and see how it goes and work up to every other night.  I still have plenty of the PTR Retinol, so I can use that on the off nights.

Trusted Contributor

Re: My first Tretinoin Experience

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess  I don't have experience with the Micro but I've used ADC .5 Retino for a few years, the cream.  It really does take more than two applications 7-10 days apart to see how well your skin tolerates it. 

I hope you're starting with a lower strength. I have sensitive skin and had to start with once per week when I began using it (I did that for 4 weeks!), do once per week if your skin is sensitve too.  If your skin isn't, maybe you could apply it twice per week for the next few weeks, if all goes well, then 3 times per week.  Much better to go slowly.  If you start to get red, irritated or peeling skin, stop it immediately until you're healed.  Wear your sunscreen every day also.

I know you're anxious to see results but honestly, it's better to ramp it up slowly than to have to stop, and then start the process all over again.  You'll see beautiful results soon, good luck!

Eta-  The PTR contains retinol, I don't think I'd use that at all while breaking my skin into a retin A routine.  It may be too much.

Honored Contributor

I use the 0.1% tret micro from ADC twice weekly.  Also use the .05% cream on the other 5 nights. I don't get any irritation with either. Eventually I would like to use only the .1% micro and ditch the .05%. 

The micro is a bit gritty. With a micro formulation, you can apply it right after cleansing...no need to let your skin dry. That's one advantage of using micro. So what I find that helps to make the grittiness go away is apply the micro to freshly washed damp skin. The moisture on your face helps make it easy to spread and it goes on much smoother, easier and with more slip.

Some people think "micro" means your get less tret. But that's not the case. Micro differs from regular tret only in the way it's formulated to be delivered into the skin at the cellular level where the tret molecules are 'released' to the cells in small (micro) doses. That happens slower than with regular tret where with reg tret the dose is given all at once which is mainly the reason why it can irritate the skin. Tret micro is wonderful for people who cannot tolerate regular tret plus it has no waiting time to apply it.

Respected Contributor

I follow my derm's advice and apply my .05% tretinoin over my moisturizer. She says this "buffers" the tretinoin and lessens irritation. Contrary to what some think, this does not "water down" the strength or the effectiveness of the tretinoin but rather allows for slower absorption, hence less irritation. My derm says that also, a moisturized (allow your moisturizer to sink in and set) skin barrier is better able to absorb the tretinoin rather than a dry, uneven skin barrier such as what you have after cleansed, bare skin.

Anyway,  this is what I've been doing for several years now and I love the results!

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

I follow my derm's advice and apply my .05% tretinoin over my moisturizer. She says this "buffers" the tretinoin and lessens irritation. Contrary to what some think, this does not "water down" the strength or the effectiveness of the tretinoin but rather allows for slower absorption, hence less irritation. My derm says that also, a moisturized (allow your moisturizer to sink in and set) skin barrier is better able to absorb the tretinoin rather than a dry, uneven skin barrier such as what you have after cleansed, bare skin.

Anyway,  this is what I've been doing for several years now and I love the results!

@Texasmouse    I've also read from derms online about applying moisturizer and then the Tretinoin. It's what it do too.  I was always rushing through my routine at bedtime, just a quick cleanse and slapping stuff on to get it done.  Not too long ago, I decided to change things up.  I'll do my PM ritual sometime after dinner and 20-30 mins. before bed, doing a more intentional double cleanse and applying whatever products I want.  Then, right before bed, I apply the Tretinon. What can I say, I like my essences and serums, don't want to give them up, so I'm thinking the delay in applying the Tretinoin gives everything a chance to soak in first. I think my skin looks pretty good for my age -  better than my peers and even some younger ladies I know. 🤷‍♀️👍

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee I guess I misunderstood you earlier.  I got the impression you were going back to the cream after you finished the gel.  Anyways, not wearing anything with it eliminates the problem of waiting until the skin is dry since I don't go to bed immediately after washing my face.  But, I'll try using the gel on wet skin next time.  I have the .04 to start with. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SilleeMee I guess I misunderstood you earlier.  I got the impression you were going back to the cream after you finished the gel.  Anyways, not wearing anything with it eliminates the problem of waiting until the skin is dry since I don't go to bed immediately after washing my face.  But, I'll try using the gel on wet skin next time.  I have the .04 to start with. 

@Icegoddess 

I'm still using the .05% cream right now b/c have several tubes of it and I don't want to let it go to waste. That will be the last of it for me. I won''t be reordering the cream and I plan on using the 0.1% gel micro exclusively after I use all of my cream.

ETA - I've been using the .05% cream for a very long time that, although peeling is not the intended goal to achieve, it doesn't even make me peel any more. The 0.1 micro does make me peel so I feel that it must be doing it's job.

Honored Contributor

With the exception of a vitamin C serum and a moisturizer, I have forfeited all of my previous skincare products when i started using tretinoin years ago. Tretinoin addresses 6 out 7 signs of aging...fine lines/wrinkles, dullness, uneven skin tone, dark spots/redness, texture and visible pores. The only thing tret doesn't do for me is moisturize and give me antioxidant protection which I find in a vitamin C serum.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee  I also use ADC .05 Retino A Cream and I never peel now either.  I'm a little perplexed.  I have experienced peeling, it's like a snake molting it's skin, I can't leave the house like that!  Is the intended goal with tret to peel?  Am I missing something or am I mistaken?

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

With the exception of a vitamin C serum and a moisturizer, I have forfeited all of my previous skincare products when i started using tretinoin years ago. Tretinoin addresses 6 out 7 signs of aging...fine lines/wrinkles, dullness, uneven skin tone, dark spots/redness, texture and visible pores. The only thing tret doesn't do for me is moisturize and give me antioxidant protection which I find in a vitamin C serum.

@SilleeMee I don't understand this.  What about the QRx peptides serum and eye booster serum?  Aren't you using some other QRx too?