Honored Contributor

My experience trying on hair color virtually. L’Oréal and other sites.

[ Edited ]

My experience trying on hair color virtually. L’Oréal and other sites.

I got an itch to get rid of my gray hair because I'm sick of looking at it. I wanted to try the home hair color brands that were recommended here by other posters last week. I settled on trying L'Oréal Excellence, possibly in Medium Brown. The product claims to cover gray. About half my hair is still brown with some, not much, gray mixed in, but the front of my hair is light gray. I was looking at L'Oréal's website to learn more. I learned a lot about the company including the fact that it owns Redken among many other brands. Anyway, back to the story. I noticed the site had a try on feature for their formulas and colors. They have formulations for very gray hair and just about every thing you can think of. You can upload a photo or see yourself live with all the formulas and colors you chose on you. Guess what, there's not a single one from all they have that is recommended for me. I really don't want to have to go back to salons again. I never look that good after I leave, no matter the cost, brand of dye or experience of the colorist and I'm always charged a small fortune. 

Honored Contributor

Re: My experience trying on hair color virtually. L’Oréal and other sites.

94D186DA-98E9-4DC6-AA6C-5F02D9292BF9.png321FEFA7-EF57-4944-BFA1-315B4997843F.jpegC408483F-4B8B-4929-A3AE-DF0059D206F1.jpeg407AEF5D-4AD8-42B2-86EF-8EA43F5B03C7.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D Thank you for posting the list of companies owned by L'Oréal. It is more of the same that we saw from the corporations who own most of the food companies.

Esteemed Contributor

WOW!!!  All those brands under the L'Oreal umbrella.  What an eye opener. 

Hope you find a color you like on yourself. Maybe try lighter shades?

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@MoJoV @Mindy D I do not know how to post like Mindy D but check out Estée Lauder. It has quite a list as well. Some that are well known from QVC.

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

WOW!!!  All those brands under the L'Oreal umbrella.  What an eye opener. 

Hope you find a color you like on yourself. Maybe try lighter shades?

When I was covering my gray, I went lighter and it did look more natural than the deeper reddish brown that was my original color. I think it is a good idea to check out colors a shade or two lighter. Have fun!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It @The computer virtual try on said that no color or line or any color would work for me! I'm in no man's land.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  Thanks also for posting the L'Oreal brands.  In many years of using at home hair color, also a medium brown, I found  they all come out one shade darker.

When you look at the directions inside the box they usually say to leave on extra minutes to color gray. 

By that time, your own brown hair will be dark brown to brown/black.

Just a suggestion, pick one shade lighter.  If it's not dark enough for your liking you can always go darker the second time.  It's a lot easier than trying to remove dark dye.

I found Excellence the best one at covering gray.  Apply the dye to the grayest areas first.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@On It @The computer virtual try on said that no color or line would work for me! I'm in no man's land.

Do you have a Sally Beauty? I bought my color there. It was "Wella Color Charm." I mixed it with the developer (Age Perfect?) in a plastic bottle with an applicator tip. I used the plastic covers on my hair until the developing time had elapsed, rinsed, and applied a color sealant conditioner. It is quite a process but my color got lots of compliments. I even had customers of hairdressers ask me about my color when I was getting a trim.

Sadly, I am not physically able to do it myself any longer. I took my own color to the hairdresser and she applied it until the COVID lockdown. At that point I decided to go gray, but I miss my color. I really don't look like myself.

Respected Contributor

My hair is medium brown but about half gray.  I use light golden brown when I color as I am warm toned.  It comes out pretty well and I do leave it on a few minutes longer than the directions say to be sure the gray is covered.