Respected Contributor

Re: My experience trying on hair color virtually. L’Oréal and other sites.

Hi, @Mindy D - I dye my hair myself using Naturtint in 5N, which is light chestnut brown, which comes out as a dark brown on me. 

I use Naturtint, which I purchase in health food stores, because it has no ammonia or resorcinol in it.  I hope you find the right product and color for you. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  I have no idea where you live but if you have a Neiman Marcus, it is worth the money to use their hair salon.  Those colorists know what they are doing; yes it will be expensive but worth it. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

Here's my experience.  It's not where you go, it's actually is "who" is doing your hair.

I went to very expensive salons and thought I wasted my money. Just because they work there doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

Point in case,  I had this gal doing my hair for years and there was always something I complained about.  Why I kept going back, because that's what we do, we always think the "next" time will be better.  It isn't.

Then I went to Supercuts, the picture of the color and effect was on the poster and low and behold she recreated it exactly.  Was it cheap, no, you would think at Supercuts it would be but it wasn't.   

It's the best money I ever spent.

There are things you do yourself but the volume is 40% in those kits I heard and that's the problem if you are experimenting. 

just spend the money and have someone do it that knows color, ask before you make an appointment anywhere.

Just my opinion or try a rinse, see if you like it, it'll last until you shampoo again but at least you can see how dark you want to go?????

Super Contributor

Do you by any chance have a beauty school near you?

Mostly do my color myself cause its just too boring to sit around waiting at a salon, but I occasionaly have it done at a school and it has turned out totally comparable to a more expensive salon, and its less than the price of haircut a the local salons.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  L'Oreal Excellance light golden brown is what I normally use and I have a lot of grey. It lets the lighter hair look like highlights. The pre cream to put on the ends keeps it from grabbing and looking darker.

It is a warmer color than light brown. 

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born   Another Naturtint user....Wheatgerm for me, a very natural blonde.  I've tried other brands in the past and they leave my hair damaged and frizzy.  It's been Naturtint for many years. @Mindy D you might want to take a look at the colors online and read the reviews...it goes on sale regularly at Sprouts.  I pick-up a few at that time  or you might find a better price on Amazon.  

@Jersey Born wrote:

Hi, @Mindy D - I dye my hair myself using Naturtint in 5N, which is light chestnut brown, which comes out as a dark brown on me. 

I use Naturtint, which I purchase in health food stores, because it has no ammonia or resorcinol in it.  I hope you find the right product and color for you. 

Super Contributor

I have been using Clairol Nice and Easy and it covers gray well. I let almost my entire top of my head go gray and honestly just felt OLD when I looked in the mirror. It was depressing. I found that it took two diff applications about 4 weeks apart to get the best coverage. I also use a Clairol brush on Powder color in between colorings and it makes a world of difference anywhere you see lighter areas like roots. I use the Clairol because ot is less expensive and has a nice easy to use beush in it! Good luck!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have some gray at my temples and in front of my ears.  I know this isn't a colorant but I've been using the Color WOW that someone  here mentioned during the last Sephora sale.  I LOVE this stuff!  I'm sure I have some gray on top of my head at the roots but they don't show because of how I wear my hair.  I DO color it and between the John Frieda Brilliant Shampoo and the Color Wow, I double the time between coloring

I forgot to add a photo of Color WOW

wow.JPG