Honored Contributor

My Vit C Doesn't Contain L-Ascorbic Acid

So does that mean it's not going to do diddly squat as far as Vit C goes? 

Here is the Missah page with everything concerning the product.

https://incidecoder.com/products/missha-vita-c-plus-spot-correcting-firming-ampoule

Honored Contributor

Re: My Vit C Doesn't Contain L-Ascorbic Acid

[ Edited ]

Looks like it contains three types of VC. Check the ingredients and they are linked to details explaining what each one does for your skin. Each ingredient listed, where the prefix 'ascorb-' appears, is a VC derivative. These are the three types of VC included in that serum:

Ethyl Ascorbic Acid

Ascorbic Acid

Ascorbyl Glucoside

ETA - When you see ascorbic acid or ascorbate listed in the ingredients, that is L-ascorbic acid. The 'L' is often left out b/c it's generally assumed that the two are one and the same. The 'L' means left rotation, a technical description involving the crystalline structure of VC. I honestly don't even know why the ''L" was ever part of the equation b/c there is no such thing as R-ascorbic acid (right rotation).icon_rolleyes.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm 

Sometimes I think the fewer ingredients in the deck, the better.

But in your case, you don't want a potent L-ascorbic acid (from your previous reaction). You would have to look for a C product w/ (according to Linus Institute) 10% for an effective topical L-ascorbic.

If you have no irritation, maybe just stick to the Missha.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@monicakm  Some women "hop around" from product to product and never know what is actually working. There seems to be a belief that the more products we add or try, the better chance of finding the "fountsain of youth". An extensive skincare regimen with multiple products that say they are similar or do the same things are overkill. 

Some products with active ingredients (acids, etc.), used in combination can actually do more harm than good. Ingredient lists are quite confusing and often too lengthy and impossible to decipher. Those are the skincare items I stay away from.  

Good skincare can be liimited to a very few good products that have proven to see results on your skin. It's always best to try them for 4-6 wks. before going on to another. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm I was faithful to Mad Hippie Vitamin C for a very long time (years).  It contains the SAP form of Vitamin C.  Everything I’ve read says the L-Ascorbic Acid form is the best.  “Best” doesn’t necessarily mean “only”.  I also wondered if I could be doing better for my skin and find something a few bucks cheaper.  At this stage, I’ve been using Vitamin C for so long that I don’t expect to see changes or improvements but I still want the benefits. I have made the switch to an LAA serum.  In rethinking and simplifying my routine, Vitamin C is one of my non-negotiables.  

Honored Contributor

I recently began using the C serum from Isomers with Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, and I use Dr Nassif's pads which also has this type of C. so far, so good. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch 

I used Mad Hippie Vit C for a week or so.  It burned and turned my face red as a beet Smiley Surprised  Then I tried another brand (Tru Skin I think) and had to return that one as well.  So far the Missha Vita C hasn't caused any problems but it has a lot of other ingredients in it that is probably keeping the inflammation down and giving a soothing effect.