Respected Contributor

Re: My Verdict Is In: No Lipstick Lasts

maybelline colorstay14 hour . then a gloss over it,  have to repply the gloss frequently

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on what you do in a day .... if you're drinking out of a water bottle or coffee cup, of course it's going to come off.

I guess I'm not the least bit worked up about this because I've always believed that lipstick needs to be reapplied a few times a day ... no biggie.   The more moist the lip product, the easier it comes off.

Valued Contributor

Glad to hear your health has improved @Vivian!

I agree, no lipstick lasts.  Even the ones that say they last--all I get is ring-around-the mouth after a couple hours, which to me looks much much worse than a naked lip.

I've given up on the long lasting versions altogether and have just resigned myself to the fact that I have to reapply often. 

Respected Contributor

So glad you are feeling better.

I use a lip pencil to line my lips and then fill it in with one of Burt Bees lip glosses.  It stays on quite a while.  The lip pencil I use is by MAC and is a long lasting pencil.  I like it.

Valued Contributor

Hi

Happy you are feeling better.  A few of us here have recently posted on another thread that we have tried Colourpop. I have been so pleased with their lip products ( lippie stixs )  They come in a huge range of shades ,best part is they are only $5 and matching liner $ 5 they are lasting longer than all my other brands. They also have a Matte line if you prefer tha (same price) t. Good luck and again glad you are feeling better

Respected Contributor

IT Cosmetics Romantic Rose YLBB Stain is amazing on it's own and under lipstick.

Nars lipsticks have great lasting ability IMO

I am not a huge fan of 14-hour products but when I need one, I use Cover Girl because it's cheap. All that type of product is drying so I don't tend to spend a ton on it.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Super Contributor

Glad you are on the mend.  As for lipstick, mine will last all day and into the next day, if I do not take it off.  It is Cover Girl Outlast. It is in a lip gloss tube form. It says it says it stays on for 24 hours and it does. I do not reapply this lip color, ever. It is on just as heavy in the pm, as I put it on in the morning. I drink hot tea all day long, and it does not come off on coffee cups. It lasts though lunch and dinner.  It is not drying like the original formula.  I do not use the gloss stick, because I don't have to do so.  It comes in many, many colors and found in any drugstore.  I hope you will give it a try.  It is cheap, usually around $7.00. My only gripe is that I have to wipe the wand on the edge of the tube before applying because it comes out too heavy handed for me.  

Honored Contributor

@Vivian

Glad you have recovered and are feeling better!

That was probably a lot of fun to get all new makeup! 

I used to have a couple of different brands of lipstick that seemed to stay all day but I can't remember what they are now.  I should add that I really didn't eat much all day while I was at work so this probably helped, too.  But now, I find those lipsticks claiming to be long-wearing are just too dry for me.  I have problems with dry lips any way and these just make them worse.

Yes, it's a pain to have to re-apply all the time but what can you do?  I find that at times I wear a lighter gloss and one which I can dash on without even looking in the mirror.  This makes it easier at work.  If I wear a darker lipstick, then I have to worry about it wearing off or unevenly and then stopping and looking in the mirror and re-applying.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian - good morning and happy healing! 

I have to disagree with you, though.  I've found a couple Revlon Lustrous lipsticks that last for hours and hours.  Especially Softsilver Red.    Here's an old trick -- apply one coat of lipstick.  Blot with tissue, then apply a second coat.  Any lipstick will last longer.  Back when I worked, I could apply Softsilver Red before I left for work in the morning and it lasted until I had lunch.  Apply again after eating lunch using the 2-coat method, and my lipstick would still be fresh-looking when I got home at night.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

For women over 50:

For long days when you know you are not going to have a chance to redo your lips. This will take at least 20 minutes.

Lightly powder lips first.

Unless you have a perfect lip line, use a lip liner over your entire lips, slightly above the top lip, blot, and lightly smooth out with your finger tip.  I use a medium dark color for this.

Lightly powder again.

Apply the lip color you want to be your final color, and lightly blot.  Do this twice.

Apply a clear moisturizer (not a gloss).

Obviously, if you are just running errands or going to your friend's house, you will not be bothered with this.

I'm 78 and used to have very full lips, which I no longer have.  If you're lucky enough to still have full lips, do the swipe/swipe thing and consider yourself very fortunate!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986