Honored Contributor

Re: My Salon Has Been Open a Few Weeks...Hairdresser is On Vacation!

For me--I would hesitate going in for an appt after the hairdresser has been on a vaca away from your area----she is now exposed to the situation in a new place and may bring it back to her shop----sorry, am in the target group so am being very careful about things-----hair is the last thing on my list of concerns!!

Esteemed Contributor

My beauty shop has been open about 2 weeks.  I can wait another month or two to make an appointment.   Getting a haircut has moved down a few notches on my priorities list.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor

Salons here are scheduled to open June 22nd.  I am long overdue as my March touchup was cancelled 2 days before the salon closed so that puts me at Feb 2nd since a color. 

Not sure if I am going to run in to get cut/color/highlights immediately either.  I'm kinda getting used to my "new look"!

Esteemed Contributor

Our salons just opened June1st and even though I am a regular client for hair and nails I couldn't get an appointment until this friday the 12th and she was scheduling these the last week of May!   My hubby is coming with me, I actually told her you can do him first and I will wait, he is looking like a homeless person, LOL!!!  (not that I am laughing at homeless people).

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

You can't wait 6 more days for a haircut?  Self-employed stylists have been getting $600/wk + the stimulist to vacation.  Many won't be eager to rush back to work.

@Kachina624 , You have posted this a number of times and I have responded a number of times that this is not true everywhere.  My hair salon opened on May 15th.  I had an appointment on May 18th. At that point, self-employed hair stylists here had not received one penny in unemployment yet.  In Ohio the system wasn't set up to accept self-employed filings until mid-May.  

@Lipstickdiva    That is the fault of an inept state employment service.  Whereas all states were overwhelmed by the sheer numbers, most got caught up and got people paid.  At the least they should have received a substantial back payment to get them caught up.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

At. this point in time I am happy for anyone who can do something fun.  I have learned the hard way that haircuts aren't nearly as big a deal as I thought they were.

Things are not the same now.  Important has a new meaning to me in many cases.  

@Sooner    I had quite the opposite experience; I found they were a bigger deal than I thought they were.  I had taken them for granted.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

My Hairdresser is no where near opening up. I had my Hair done on Feb 7th went on a vacation for 5 weeks. y hair is Color treated Double processed..So after 5 weeks it really needed it. I was scheduled for my appointment on the 6th week..that was March 21st.Well we went into shut down mode and there went my hair appointment..My Hairdresser sent me a kit to help me on April 13th. I used it but my hair still looked like you know what..So, on May 19th she calls me up and says she's coming to my house..THANK THE LORD.. I wore a Mask and she wore a mask and I sat in my Back Yard and she did my hair.Well I'm due next week for a Touch up..I'm hoping that the Salon will be open in a few weeks and we can go back to NORMAL..Whatever NORMAL is thes days!bout 2 weeks

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

You can't wait 6 more days for a haircut?  Self-employed stylists have been getting $600/wk + the stimulist to vacation.  Many won't be eager to rush back to work.

@Kachina624 , You have posted this a number of times and I have responded a number of times that this is not true

everywhere.  My hair salon opened on May 15th.  I had an appointment on May 18th. At that point, self-employed hair stylists here had not received one penny in unemployment yet.  In Ohio the system wasn't set up to accept self-employed filings until mid-May.  

@Lipstickdiva    That is the fault of an inept state employment service.  Whereas all states were overwhelmed by the sheer numbers, most got caught up and got people paid.  At the least they should have received a substantial back payment to get them caught up.

@Kachina624 

Hairdressers, tattoo artists, independent 1099 workers did not get unemployment NOR did they receive the federal stimulus.

My DIL  is a 1099 employee (independent contractor)

and was exempt from all unemployment and federal benefits.  My hairdresser the same ... received zero zip nada!!!

Although, the shop owners were eligible for the Cares Act ..go figure🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

If you know who they should go to OR where to apply for retro benefits please post here so I can let them know!! Thank you!!!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 , You have posted this a number of times and I have responded a number of times that this is not true

everywhere.  My hair salon opened on May 15th.  I had an appointment on May 18th. At that point, self-employed hair stylists here had not received one penny in unemployment yet.  In Ohio the system wasn't set up to accept self-employed filings until mid-May.  

@Kachina624 

Hairdressers, tattoo artists, independent 1099 workers did not get unemployment NOR did they receive the federal stimulus.

My DIL  is a 1099 employee (independent contractor)

and was exempt from all unemployment and federal benefits.  My hairdresser the same ... received zero zip nada!!!

Although, the shop owners were eligible for the Cares Act ..go figure🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

If you know who they should go to OR where to apply for retro benefits please post here so I can let them know!! Thank you!!!

@homedecor1 , In Ohio 1099 employees WERE eligible for unemployment but the system wasn't set up to handle their claims until mid-May and then there were many problems and issues.  They are supposed to be caught up and get a substantial check for all the weeks they missed.

The system here is still a mess.  There are reports of people attempting to log-in to their account and getting a message that they are locked out because they had 3 failed log-in attempts.  There is a link to click if you forgot your password but clicking the link gives an error message.  On top of that, they never had a failed log-in at all.  It's some kind of system problem.   

Super Contributor

My salon is opening July 7th... She is taking everyone who had March 17th appointments will be first- sounds only fair... My next appt. was April 4th so I don't know where I am on the list... Also the salon sent out a new price schedule and I had to send them a request to see what the new payment will be (credit cards only-no cash)... Prices are much higher and not sure about this...There are all different letters with a price next to it for each service... haircut/roots/foils etc.  I really need to see where my stylist fits in... letters such as S,SS,A,AS,AD etc and prices with each one....The salon will be calling to set up appointments next week so this will be the real killer....Might move on down the road - who knows.  Since I wanted foils they won't be drying hair so it could look good or like ****** when you get home... Can't wait for next week... Will keep you posted....