Honored Contributor

Re: My Parents Are in the Assisted Living. Their First Night

@monicakm   That is great news, I hope they are enjoying their new digs, and I am sure it's a relief for you and your family.

Honored Contributor

My fondest thoughts to you. 

Trust me, it's usually much harder on those of us who love them than it is on our LOVED ONES themselves.

It sounds as though you've done a WONDERFUL job with their transfer.

Try not to be too surprised if there are some complaints (or maybe a LOT of them) at some point in their adjustment period.  My LO had quite a tough time, but grew to LOVE her surroundings and her caregivers.

Be good to yourselves too you and your daughter deserve high praise!

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm 

This is a difficult time for sure.  Thank God you all have each other.  I know when we had to move my Gram from living on her own to my parents' house, it was tough.  We tried to look on the brightside and all, but it is a more somber milestone.  

I am so sorry about your brother.  May he rest in peace and his family find peace and comfort in his memories.  It is a blessing your parents have each other.  There can be things that happen and we don't want to carry on, but we do because of our love for others.  Love really is the answer.  

Hugs friend.  Thinking of you.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm - I know the last couple months have been very hard on you and your family.  How wonderful that your daughter and husband were able to set up your parents' new home.   It sounds so nice and I know it eases your mind and stress level to know they are somewhere being taken care of and you don't have to worry about them.

Trusted Contributor

Best wishes that your parents will grow to love their new home!  They will meet a lot of new friends and get adjusted well, I am sure!  You and your daughter did a great job to get this accomplished for them.  Blessings to all!

Honored Contributor

Sounds great @monicakm !  Prayers for your parents.

Respected Contributor

That sounds like a really good set up for them. While yes, it's so hard to make a big change like that, because of all the family support I believe they will adjust well and they are together in the change. The loss of a child, even as an adult is a painful experience, but hopefully they will also, together, privately mourn and accept this new chapter in their lives.  The help your family gave them in the transition will make it easier.

When my mom died 7 years ago, my dad struggled with staying or leaving their home of 60+ years.  He stayed for four years after her death and then said it's time. So with all of our help, he moved into a senior housing apartment but he refused the assisted living arrangement. So he lives alone but at 96, he's unbelievable and is healthy and independent.  And yes, we too handled all the logistics for him and all he had to do was walk in.  We also took care of emptying out the old house and sold it in a week so it all worked out. 

Peace of mind is everything...

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like your parents are in a very nice assisted care facility. I hope they adjust to their new surroundings quickly. Your husband and daughter did a fantastic job and I am sure their help means the world to you. Hopefully you can breathe a bit easier now re your parent's access to caregivers. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

Sounds like you have a wonderful family that tried to make the transition for your parents as seamless as possible.  Hoping that any additional bumps in the road are minor for all concerned. 

Valued Contributor

Happy all went well for your family.  Prayers for continued health.