Honored Contributor

My Parents Are in the Assisted Living. Their First Night

Tonight is my parent's first night in their new place.  Assisted living quarters in the same small town they have lived in for close to 40 years.  I have to give it to my daughter for making this all happen and happen as smoothly as it did.  Today was move in day (actually night).  They came here for the day while my husband and daughter moved in all the belongings and set up everything, stocked the kitchens, made the bed...it was like walking into their house!  They have two adjoining suites.  They've made one into primarily their bedroom and the other suite primarily a living room situation.  I couldn't believe how wonderful everything was set up.  I'm still in awe.  There is some art to hang but both tvs were mounted and on, fully stocked kitchens, shower curtains, all their clothes in the closets, their rugs.  They did such a great job.  I hope mom and dad are resting well tonight.  Home is where your dog is and he is snuggled up between them Smiley Happy  They chose to have breakfast served in their room in the morning but can go to the dining hall for any meal (or room service).  They will do your laundry or you can do your own.  They have a spa, game room, media room, chapel, sunroom, nice deep patio with deer feeders in the back courtyard and a garden for the guests to plant fruits, veggies or flowers in.  There are more amenities I can't think of right now.   No one wants to leave their home but I think they will enjoy it there.  

This is a lot for them to go thru in less than a month.  My brother died on Aug 21st and they have moved out of their home less than a month later.  

In between the time my brother passed away and tonight, they have had round the clock nursing care.  It's a load off all our minds that they are finally somewhere they can be cared for 24/7

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Parents Are in the Assisted Living. Their First Night

Prayers for your family.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm   That is very good news and I'm glad to hear how smoothly the transition went into your parents new home. Blessings to you and all of your family. 🥰

Respected Contributor

@monicakm  What a gift to your parents to have everything set up.  I am sure you are relieved that they are safely moved in.  Lm

Honored Contributor

@monicakm    I truly admire your unfaltering devotion to your family.  Be well,  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Take a breather girl! You deserve it- You have been through a lot.  It's so hard. Your parents are lucky, they have family members who care, not everyone has that.
I am in a tough spot because my elderly Mom lives 2 hrs away from me and refuses to move closer to me. My sister, who lives close to her, doesn't care about anyone but herself- And has cutoff all communication with me because I reminded her that she said she would help sometimes...So hard. 

Best wishes that You have smooth sailing ahead. 

Honored Contributor

I am happy for all concerned.  It must be a load off everyones mind.  Sounds like your parents will enjoy their new home.  You have a very special daughter.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

@monicakm  Even though change is hard, the place your parents are in, sounds very, very nice and I hope they will be happy there. I bet you're proud of your daughter for helping so much.

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry for the loss of your brother.

Sounds like a beautiful place for your parents to live where they will enjoy the amenities and many new friends.

They are most fortunate to have you and your family to love, comfort and be there for them at this time.

Honored Contributor

@Re: My Parents Are in the Assisted Living. Their First Night

@monicakm The assisted living quarters sounds like an ideal place for your parents.

It takes a bit of worry off of everyone that you know that there can be someone available to them 24 hours a day, if needed. 

I think you are right. They will enjoy it there. It will be less responsibility for them too. They won't have to deal with maintaining a house. It will take a load off of them. 

AND for them to be able to take their dog. What an added bonus.

So sad your brother passed. But glad your parents are comfortable and have additional care if needed.