Honored Contributor

Re: My New Beauty Secret (Money-saving)

African Black Soap...giggle. Reminds me of that scene in 'Annie Hall'.

Honored Contributor

I have bought lye soup at auction, a batch someone made at home. I found it to be really gentle in the shower, and it didn't cause irritation in those private areas. Who knew? One would think lye would be very hard on skin. I went through the whole batch.

Super Contributor

On 4/7/2015 BeautyAddiction said:
On 4/7/2015 NeNe1010 said:

I agree Funloving. I love African Black Soap. It keeps my skin clear and my skin feels so clean after washing- no slippery residue- and my skin never feels tight and dry like other cleansers I have used, some of which were supposed to be moisturizing. My favorite brand is Du Du Osun.

Is African Black Soap good for dry skin or oily skin or both? I have dry skin.

I have combo skin and this soap keeps my oily areas clear and my drier areas never feel dried out after washing. It makes my face feel really clean, like nothing else I have ever used.

Super Contributor

Maureen, ITA about that soap. It is very gentle and I use it on my face as well, occasionally.

Regular Contributor

I love African black soap! I use it in the shower and on my face. It's the best thing I have ever tried. I use Dr. Woods Shea Vision Pure Black Soap with Organic Shea Butter. On sale at Vitacost right now, 32 oz for $7.13

Valued Contributor

My mother used Kirk's Castile bar soap for years, along with the original basic Oil of Olay lotion. She died at age 82 and her skin was beautiful. She once gave my girlfriend a bar of it and told her to use it on her face. My friend had wall to wall acne, and it cleared right up! Amazing. If my mother had not been so bold as to tell her that, she would have continued to suffer with it.

It's funny. When I was about 13, my mother had me use Noxema and 10-0-6 on my face. She never encouraged me to use Castile. Don't know why.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the tip!