Honored Contributor

Re: My New Beauty Secret (Money-saving)

On 4/4/2015 Crisso said:
On 4/4/2015 Desertdi said:
On 4/4/2015 Crisso said:

I don't know how long you have been using this, but do not be surprised if your skin starts to feel dry. Castille soap is drying like heck. One of the top ingredients in the product you mention is a detergent cleansing agent and an irritant (soduim c14-16 olefin sulfonate). There are also other drying and irritating ingredients.

Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide AEE, Polysorbate 20, Decyl Glucoside, Glycol Distearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin, Saponaria Officinalis Root Extract, Polyquaternium-10, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol, Fragrance, Citric Acid

I used to use that to get the mustard stains off my husband's shirts...........

It is used extensively (or was) in Europe for cleaning fabrics. My grandmother used it for hand washing clothes. I was surprised a while back when I saw that it was being formulated for use on skin.

wow, that is some powerful stuff! Sounds great for getting stains out but I'd be hesitant to use something like that on my face or body. I wonder what ingredients in it is so good for getting stains out and cleaning fabrics?

Super Contributor

On 4/5/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 4/4/2015 Crisso said:
On 4/4/2015 Desertdi said:
On 4/4/2015 Crisso said:

I don't know how long you have been using this, but do not be surprised if your skin starts to feel dry. Castille soap is drying like heck. One of the top ingredients in the product you mention is a detergent cleansing agent and an irritant (soduim c14-16 olefin sulfonate). There are also other drying and irritating ingredients.

Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide AEE, Polysorbate 20, Decyl Glucoside, Glycol Distearate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycerin, Saponaria Officinalis Root Extract, Polyquaternium-10, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol, Fragrance, Citric Acid

I used to use that to get the mustard stains off my husband's shirts...........

It is used extensively (or was) in Europe for cleaning fabrics. My grandmother used it for hand washing clothes. I was surprised a while back when I saw that it was being formulated for use on skin.

wow, that is some powerful stuff! Sounds great for getting stains out but I'd be hesitant to use something like that on my face or body. I wonder what ingredients in it is so good for getting stains out and cleaning fabrics?

This is so strange.... I did include the ingredients from the Kirk's website in my post....

Here is the website in case my copying gets poofed....

http://www.kirksnatural.com/products/kirks-castile-liquid-soap/

Super Contributor

Crisso, the ingredients you listed are still there. I think she was wondering which of those listed is/are responsible for removing the stains and cleaning the fabric.

Last week when I was reading about something or other, I came across a recommendation for Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash. It gets great reviews so I'm going to try it.

Super Contributor

On 4/5/2015 Snow Owl said:

Crisso, the ingredients you listed are still there. I think she was wondering which of those listed is/are responsible for removing the stains and cleaning the fabric.

Last week when I was reading about something or other, I came across a recommendation for Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash. It gets great reviews so I'm going to try it.

Hummm. Last night the text containing the ingredients that I had cut and paste was missing. I think there may be a problem with my laptop!

I will have to check out the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, Snow Owl. The price is great!

HappyDaze, I believe that the original Castile Soap from Spain was almost entirely made up of olive oil. In order to make a soap bar, lye is added. These two ingredients alone will get stains out. Now it seems that all sorts of other ingredients are included and/or substituted but the item is still called Castile. I remember that the bars my grandmother used did not lather much. She said this was the olive oil. To get lather other ingredients need to be added.

Honored Contributor

Of course not everything works for every body, I tried Kirk's years ago from our local health food store and it is drying. Just because a product is home made or natural or even organic does not make it a great product. I did try some goat milk soap from a local farm a few months back and although it was moisturizing it lacked fragrance and enough lather to make a product appealing to use.

Super Contributor

On 4/5/2015 baker said:

Of course not everything works for every body, I tried Kirk's years ago from our local health food store and it is drying. Just because a product is home made or natural or even organic does not make it a great product. I did try some goat milk soap from a local farm a few months back and although it was moisturizing it lacked fragrance and enough lather to make a product appealing to use.

So true, baker.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/4/2015 ritasNo1Fan said: African Black Soap for me....fab, just fab.

Same for me. It draws out infections and heals irritations (and yeast flare ups) in addition to leaving clean, soft skin.

Respected Contributor

This is a great thread. BTW, the African Black soap works wonderfully for me too.

These days I'm watching what I spend on beauty in general. Sure... there's still some high priced items I haven't found replacements for yet, but I'm finding cost doesn't necessarily correlate with quality and good individual results- more so in many cases it seems expensive packaging and marketing costs.

I've picked up some great low cost beauty items lately that I'm loving. From time-to-time we share these finds, no matter the category. Might be a good idea to update that in a new thread soon?

Super Contributor

I agree Funloving. I love African Black Soap. It keeps my skin clear and my skin feels so clean after washing- no slippery residue- and my skin never feels tight and dry like other cleansers I have used, some of which were supposed to be moisturizing. My favorite brand is Du Du Osun.

Respected Contributor

On 4/7/2015 NeNe1010 said:

I agree Funloving. I love African Black Soap. It keeps my skin clear and my skin feels so clean after washing- no slippery residue- and my skin never feels tight and dry like other cleansers I have used, some of which were supposed to be moisturizing. My favorite brand is Du Du Osun.

Is African Black Soap good for dry skin or oily skin or both? I have dry skin.