Honored Contributor

Re: My Hair Stylist was Promoted

@lovesrecess  You must live on the east coast or California.  Don't laugh -- I don't have TEXT, I still own a flip phone.  lol  Happy Holidays.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Tricolor wrote:

@HLP wrote:

@DbinMD wrote:

Recently, I had the same thing happen to me. On one appointment,  it was om her mirror. It came out and said, she had been promoted and her prices were going up. That was great for her, but why do we have to pay more. It didn't seem fair. So. I did find someone else briefly, but really wasn't happy with her. So, like you, I am going to have to find someone else too. Good luck finding another stylist or staying with yours if she agrees to the price you always pay.

Who promotes a hair stylest? Never heard such a thing, They are licensed in my state and I don't know of any in my shop getting promotions.I've been going to the same girl for 30 years. Or is this the way to say, her prices are higher now? The prices in my shop goes up for everybody, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

This is a new one on me too. I don't understand what a stylist would get promoted to. My stylist owns the shop but she doesn't charge anymore than the other stylists who work there.

@Tricolor   Most likely if she owns the salon, she's making extra money by getting a percentage of what each stylist makes.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Katcat1 Aren't you in essence asking her to take a pay cut?  If she can fill her schedule with people who will pay the higher price, that impacts her income.

Just thinking about that issue. 

@Sooner   Speaking for myself (& maybe @Katcat1 ), if I don't want to pay her new higher charges, she's welcome to fill my spot with someone who's willing to pay more. It doesn't impact her income that way at all.

Honored Contributor

There is a salon in my area that I used to go to.  They employ the stylists, unlike most salons where it is chair rental.

At this particular salon, you come in as New Talent and your prices are the cheapest.  You can them be promoted to a Level 1 stylist, all the way to a Level 3.  After that you are promoted to a Master Stylist and from there you can be promoted to Artist 1 and Artist 2.

I don't really have any idea what it takes to be promoted among the various levels.   The girl I went to was a Master Stylist.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   At my salon the stylists have different titles.  Apprentice, Rising Artist, Jr. Stylist, Sr. Stylist, Master Artist I and II.  They have a Marketing Director, Coordinator, Educator and General Manager.  Definitely into the titles but they train all new stylists.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I didn't realize hairdressers were promoted unless they went from behind the chair to managing the salon. I would learn how to cut my own hair if I had to pay 50 bucks for a hair cut, I go every 8 weeks. My hair dresser rents space and charges 11 dollars for a haircut and I give her a tip. I am very happy with my pixie haircut. I have paid 18 dollars for a haircut, but that's the most I have ever paid. I do live in a rural area.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I didn't realize hairdressers were promoted unless they went from behind the chair to managing the salon. I would learn how to cut my own hair if I had to pay 50 bucks for a hair cut, I go every 8 weeks. My hair dresser rents space and charges 11 dollars for a haircut and I give her a tip. I am very happy with my pixie haircut. I have paid 18 dollars for a haircut, but that's the most I have ever paid. I do live in a rural area.

@blackhole99  I get a pixie also. It’s 42.00. The owner cuts it.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@blackhole99  I get a pixie also. It’s 42.00. The owner cuts it.

@proudlyfromNJ  I have relatives who live in NJ and I know it's very expensive to live in that state. 

Super Contributor

My stylist got promoted also and her prices went up way too much...So they gave her a new title in the salon but why should I pay her more.  Haircuts/roots/highlights are way over the top now and I hate to leave and find a new place...A bad haircut from another place can last you weeks or months...My stylist is doing the same routine we have been doing and products are the same... Guess I am the one giving her a raise - not the owner... That is BS...Also now a bigger tip is kind of expected.... I didn't get a raise and bonus at work... These hair salons and nail salons are making it harder and harder to keep up with the pay scale they feel they deserve...

Honored Contributor

I think the more experience you have the better you should be paid. 
My salon runs from $55-$85 depending on experience and continuing education to keep up with new techniques. 

My stylist is at $65 now after finishing her apprenticeship.