Honored Contributor

Re: My Hair Stylist was Promoted

Most stylists work either on 100% commission or they rent their chair.  Very few, if any get a salary.

if the stylists rent goes up, so will their prices. if they have too many clients, their prices will go up.  If the water or electricity goes up, so will their prices.

if shampoo, hair color and other supplies goes up....well you get understand.  Often, they must go have additional training to learn how to use a product or new cut.  They might have to travel over night.  There are a lot of expenses associated with doing hair.

Stylists are not guaranteed a paycheck.  Most get paid by the money they bring in. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My stylist rents space from the salon she works at.

I wouldn't write a note to her and ask for a break.  If this were me, and the price increased to more than I wanted to pay, I'd find a new stylist.  It's like everything else - the price goes up on everything, we each have to decide if we will pay it, or find a different option.

I wouldn't write a note or ask for a discount.  I'd either pay her going rate, or not.  I wouldn't ask for special treatment.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 :Yes, you should have been and were charged the original price with your haircut. In my area, promoting a stylist is normal . Experience should be able to earn a raise in pay. If you can't afford the new price, smile, tell her so and find someone new. Do not begrudge her a raise and do not ask for her to continue to charge you at the now discounted price. You are not family- you are a client. Find someone whose services are in your budget and move on. Do not ask for a special, ongoing favor. That's insulting and the stylist deserves better from you.

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Katcat1 :Yes, you should have been and were charged the original price with your haircut. In my area, promoting a stylist is normal . Experience should be able to earn a raise in pay. If you can't afford the new price, smile, tell her so and find someone new. Do not begrudge her a raise and do not ask for her to continue to charge you at the now discounted price. You are not family- you are a client. Find someone whose services are in your budget and move on. Do not ask for a special, ongoing favor. That's insulting and the stylist deserves better from you.

@queendiva 

I agree.

Plus, if this hair stylist gave her a break on price, then imagine if all of her clients also wanted the same break in price.

In other words, she is asking the hair stylist to play "favorites", and that isn't fair to the stylist, nor the other clients.

Why should one person get a break in price, if that same break isn't going to be levied fairly across the board?

I have a favorite hair stylist, but it's $200 a pop (that's with tip) every time I see him.

I can't afford that, and I would never dream of asking him to cut (no pun intended) me a deal on price.

That's wouldn't be fair to him, or his other clients.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Katcat1   I agree, especially with a fixed income.  I would let her know that the increase is too much for you and you'll have to look elsewhere - it's up to her to either agree (which might means paying the increase means no more tip).  

I think she needs to respect that you have limited funds and may need to go elsewhere.  

Who's to say she can't charge $100 next year?  It's your choice to go elsewhere.  I wouldn't feel bad at all.  We all have budgets and some can spend whatever they want, while others need to set a limit.

I would give someone else a try - you never know, you may like the new one better. 

LOL...MOST of us are on a fixed income!  I work but my income isn't unlimited! 

Unless you own your own company (S Corp) and have access to additional funds as needed, your income doesn't fluctuate unless you are tipped or commissioned!  Even mega dollar CEO's have a contract and the income is preset.

I haven't had a raise in 2 years.  It is just as fixed as someone on SS or retired.

If a stylist doesn't rent, the house sets the rules and her income is 'fixed' until she gets promoted.  I don't begrudge that increase.  They spend long hours on their feet, put stress on their arms, shoulders and wrists and have to listen to women gripe all day!

I would just quietly move on.  Why should special terms be made for one person?  I would deserve that price break too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

Today I had my hair cut.  After the cut I went up to the reception area to After my cut I went to pay and I was told $60.  It was always $51.  However, my stylist said to the receptionist to charge me $51.  Unless my stylist works something out with me, I will have to go to a different stylist.  We are talking over $70 with tip.  I would not complain if I was working but I have a budget to live by (fixed income).  I really like the haircuts she gives me.  I think it is crazy what women are paying for haircuts and color today.  When is it going to stop?  I decided to write my stylist a note to congratulate her and explain that her new price is out of my budget and if she cannot work out something with me then I will have to go to another stylist and ask for a referral.  I can't call her because stylists are always with clients and she was busy today so I did not have a chance to talk to her thus the note.  I feel it doesn't hurt to ask her if I can get a break from her and if not, if she would refer me.  The salon is very friendly and all the stylist say hi to me.  They may not know my name but they do remember me and always smile and say hi.

@Katcat1   I get it. DH is still working, but cutting back hours in hopes of retiring in several years, so we're essentially on a "fixed budget" saving for retirement. I don't feel anyone needs an explanation why I'm not willing to pay an increase in services. When it's not within my "budget", I go elsewhere. No notes necessary, I just explain I don't get the increase and go to another stylist when necessary. I don't give explanations when they're new charges seem out of line. I've changed where I go for facials after 10 years. She went up $10 an hour after going up $5 an hour last year. I have the training to do it myself before paying almost $90 for an hour facial!!! That's crazy!!

Respected Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@DbinMD wrote:

Recently, I had the same thing happen to me. On one appointment,  it was om her mirror. It came out and said, she had been promoted and her prices were going up. That was great for her, but why do we have to pay more. It didn't seem fair. So. I did find someone else briefly, but really wasn't happy with her. So, like you, I am going to have to find someone else too. Good luck finding another stylist or staying with yours if she agrees to the price you always pay.

Who promotes a hair stylest? Never heard such a thing, They are licensed in my state and I don't know of any in my shop getting promotions.I've been going to the same girl for 30 years. Or is this the way to say, her prices are higher now? The prices in my shop goes up for everybody, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

This is a new one on me too. I don't understand what a stylist would get promoted to. My stylist owns the shop but she doesn't charge anymore than the other stylists who work there.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Katcat1   I agree, especially with a fixed income.  I would let her know that the increase is too much for you and you'll have to look elsewhere - it's up to her to either agree (which might means paying the increase means no more tip).  

I think she needs to respect that you have limited funds and may need to go elsewhere.  

Who's to say she can't charge $100 next year?  It's your choice to go elsewhere.  I wouldn't feel bad at all.  We all have budgets and some can spend whatever they want, while others need to set a limit.

I would give someone else a try - you never know, you may like the new one better. 

LOL...MOST of us are on a fixed income!  I work but my income isn't unlimited! 

Unless you own your own company (S Corp) and have access to additional funds as needed, your income doesn't fluctuate unless you are tipped or commissioned!  Even mega dollar CEO's have a contract and the income is preset.

I haven't had a raise in 2 years.  It is just as fixed as someone on SS or retired.

If a stylist doesn't rent, the house sets the rules and her income is 'fixed' until she gets promoted.  I don't begrudge that increase.  They spend long hours on their feet, put stress on their arms, shoulders and wrists and have to listen to women gripe all day!

I would just quietly move on.  Why should special terms be made for one person?  I would deserve that price break too.

Thank you.  Exactly.  lol

Regular Contributor

Promotion or yearly increase in cost? Either way, costs go up every year where I live and get my goods & services. Hard to find a good stylist or colorist. Maybe don't go as often. BTW: I pay almost twice what you are paying plus on top a 20% gratuity. Just saying, costs to live in this life.

Regular Contributor

Promotions: How about to lead stylist or colorists?