Honored Contributor

My Hair Stylist was Promoted

Today I had my hair cut.  After the cut I went up to the reception area to After my cut I went to pay and I was told $60.  It was always $51.  However, my stylist said to the receptionist to charge me $51.  Unless my stylist works something out with me, I will have to go to a different stylist.  We are talking over $70 with tip.  I would not complain if I was working but I have a budget to live by (fixed income).  I really like the haircuts she gives me.  I think it is crazy what women are paying for haircuts and color today.  When is it going to stop?  I decided to write my stylist a note to congratulate her and explain that her new price is out of my budget and if she cannot work out something with me then I will have to go to another stylist and ask for a referral.  I can't call her because stylists are always with clients and she was busy today so I did not have a chance to talk to her thus the note.  I feel it doesn't hurt to ask her if I can get a break from her and if not, if she would refer me.  The salon is very friendly and all the stylist say hi to me.  They may not know my name but they do remember me and always smile and say hi.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Re: My Hair Stylist was Promoted

Recently, I had the same thing happen to me. On one appointment,  it was om her mirror. It came out and said, she had been promoted and her prices were going up. That was great for her, but why do we have to pay more. It didn't seem fair. So. I did find someone else briefly, but really wasn't happy with her. So, like you, I am going to have to find someone else too. Good luck finding another stylist or staying with yours if she agrees to the price you always pay.

Honored Contributor

I would be happy for my stylist if she got promoted! Why look on the bad side and how it effects you? I live in small town America and found a terrific hair stylist that owns her own shop. Yes, I'm happy to pay what she charges and YES I tip her! Unlike the notion of not tipping the owners of their own shops. 

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

• I live in the Midwest and a salon I used to go to, my stylist was always getting promoted, thus her prices would go up. I found out her"promotion" had nothing to do with skill, it was ABOUT PRODUCT SALES. Yeah, her customers got the privilege of benefitting from her promotion, paying more. I wised up and went elsewhere. Many stylist out there if you're in a fairly decent city.
Respected Contributor

@DbinMD wrote:

Recently, I had the same thing happen to me. On one appointment,  it was om her mirror. It came out and said, she had been promoted and her prices were going up. That was great for her, but why do we have to pay more. It didn't seem fair. So. I did find someone else briefly, but really wasn't happy with her. So, like you, I am going to have to find someone else too. Good luck finding another stylist or staying with yours if she agrees to the price you always pay.

Who promotes a hair stylest? Never heard such a thing, They are licensed in my state and I don't know of any in my shop getting promotions.I've been going to the same girl for 30 years. Or is this the way to say, her prices are higher now? The prices in my shop goes up for everybody, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Respected Contributor

I also never heard of a hair stylist promoted. Is it a regional thing to say when prices go up? 

Valued Contributor

Our cost of living is pretty low in the south, even in a somewhat larger city. I pay $35-$40 per haircut, and that includes a $10+ tip. I have no idea why the base amount of the cut fluctuates between $25 and $30. I don't get mine washed, and she does not style it (my hair is wash and go, so I don't style it either). My person owns her own business, but she is the only stylist. I appreciate her willingness to always work me in and I love the way she cuts my hair, hence the tip. I only utilize her services for cutting, I do my own color.

I wouldn't be able to double what I pay though. $70+ seems so high to me. Good luck in your search!

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

My salon raised prices a few dollars, and she gave a months notice so no one would be surprised. One woman said " how dare you raise your prices?"  I figure things cost what they cost, if you can't afford it you can look for another stylist. I will add, that my stylist is reasonable.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I live in the Atlanta area. My stylists work at a well known salon. The stylists there do not rent space, they are employed by the salon. Everytime they receive a raise the price goes up to reflect the increase. The stylists have no say over what to charge. They also specialize either cutting or coloring. So I have one for a cut and one for color. I am fortunate that I have a wonderful stylist for color who is in the new talents dept. and his prices are reasonable. I have difficult hair to cut and I will gladly pay for a great cut. I agree with 2 stylists and tips it gets pricey but I don't do manicures or pedicures and I don't spend tons of money on makeup and clothes so this is my once a month splurge. If I ever win the lottery I am going in once a week for a blowout. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in the south too and prices in my city are high. Dilemma: we also have few really good, clean salons with talented people. I changed from the stylist I went to for 10 years when her prices jumped to $75!!!  That's nuts for just a cut...it was $150 every 6 weeks when it was color/cut and then + tip. DH rarely interferes in my budget decisions, but he "drew the line" at that one a few weeks before I stopped going.

My present stylist of 4 years is great, knows my hair and does a perfect cut. Before December, a note in the front waiting area of the huge salon named the stylists moving up from silver to gold to platinum. Of course, their prices were raised accordingly. I don't think it has to do w/ talent, but rather raised status for the number of years working there and "permission" to charge more. In my thinking, it's up to the salon owner to raise salaries instead of passing the cost to customers. 

My stylist went from $60 to $65 and with a generous tip of $15 was out of line. Of course, there's no color appts. involved and cut is only every 6 wks., but it's the principle with me. I explained that to her, cut back on her tip to $10 and give her a nice Christmas gift. Those that followed, the $40 Camuto wallet gift was returned and I enclosed $25 in her Holiday card. I did relate to her that if prices increased again, I'd look for another salon. A pixie or even the short cut I have now with a quick blow dry...no brush needed, takes her 1/2 hour.  Absurd pricing! I could go to my hubby's barber for $12...Sexism?