Honored Contributor

Re: My Grey Hair is beautiful

I so admire a head of silver hair, some are just so pretty.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest   While I like silver hair as well, mine included, it's not for everyone. Often these threads become controversial because it makes those who want to still color their hair feel like they have to defend their decision. It's always a personal choice. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I quit coloring my hair 20 years ago when I retired and have never looked back.  Everytime I read somebody's mention of getting their hair colored, I thank my lucky stars I don't have to go to that trouble and expense.  It's so freeing.

@Kachina624   I could have written this post word for word!

Super Contributor

@Shanus When your hair gets long enough for a pony, use SLIP small scrunchies from Sephora ; thats where I buy mine.

Allure beauty winner, made of silk, so $$, but mine seem to last forever.

My stylist advised me when I decided to grow my hair 'never use plastic or metal in your hair and be gentle with it when wet. Never use a wet brush when hair is wet.'

I try to adhere to her advice so what I have doesnt break off. I also take Viviscal, Phytoceramides and 8 Greens drink supplement (I'm a picky eater).

Honored Contributor

@Maestra1 wrote:

@Shanus When your hair gets long enough for a pony, use SLIP small scrunchies from Sephora ; thats where I buy mine.

Allure beauty winner, made of silk, so $$, but mine seem to last forever.

My stylist advised me when I decided to grow my hair 'never use plastic or metal in your hair and be gentle with it when wet. Never use a wet brush when hair is wet.'

I try to adhere to her advice so what I have doesnt break off. I also take Viviscal, Phytoceramides and 8 Greens drink supplement (I'm a picky eater).

@Maestra1   Thanks for the heads up (🤪). I have satin scrunchies I purchased from Amazon...a bag full for a good price...neutrals including 2 greys, 2 black, 2 white and 2 in a taupe shade. I use the taupe to hold my "almost ponytail" off my face while cleansing. With curly hair, I rarely brush it at all. I "rake it" with my fingers into a 1/2 up 1/2 down w/ smaller satin scrunchie or my kinda pony w/ a larger one. Even styling when wet, I just scrunch in a little mousse and air dry. I use a wide toothed comb only when I deep condition to make sure all curls are covered. I'm loving the versatility of having it longer. I'm hoping that I don't yearn for my pixie again. It's been the pits growing out those short layers. 

Esteemed Contributor

Stopped coloring mine 13 years ago, shortly after retirement (had been coloring it for 33 yrs).  I got it all out in two haircuts ( went from shoulder length to very, very short).  It is now mid back length with a slight natural curl.  I wash it, let it dry naturally, apply moisturizer and I'm done.  I haven't had a hair cut since August but when it loses its shape I wet it, part of and cut about one inch off.  My hair is thick and very silver (I am pleased with it and DH told me this week that he really loves it).  I spend less than $500 a year on my hair and 2020 will probably be half of that.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

My mother in law's is silver like that, its so pretty and her hair turned gray when she was in her 30's.  And my mom is in her mid 70's, her hair is still black. She insists she can see a few grays sometimes, but you really would have to look.

If I don't color my hair, I have more gray than my mom.