Honored Contributor

My First Try w/ Vit C In a LONG Time

I've never gotten along well with Vit C.  I know it's a product I should be using so I'm giving Missah's Vit C a chance.  Got it today.  To keep it from being too harsh in the beginning, should I mix it with my moisturizer?

And for you ingredient readers, here they are...

Water, Hippophae Rhamnoides Water, Glycerin, Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice) Root Extract, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Niacinamide, Diethoxyethyl Succinate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Tocopheryl Acetate, 3-O-Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, Bifida Ferment Lysate, Tranexamic Acid, Sodium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Chlorella Vulgaris Extract, Glucose, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Fructooligosaccharides, Fructose, Arbutin, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Panthenol, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Xanthan Gum, Adenosine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Citric Acid, Polyquaternium-51, Ceramide NP, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Sodium Phytate, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Sodium Citrate, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Root Extract, Beta-Carotene, Tocopherol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Allantoin, Glyceryl Glucoside, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, Dipropylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ascorbic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Pentylene Glycol, PVP, Laurdimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phytosterols, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Fullerenes

Honored Contributor

Re: My First Try w/ Vit C In a LONG Time

I personally don’t think that a moisturizer is actually necessary to buffer the vitamin c but I like using a rose water mist or Korean essence before my serums, hoping to help them penetrate better.  Besides that, there are additional benefit to the mists.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you.  I actually do use a Missha Essence Smiley Happy  Which one do you use?

Honored Contributor

I have always thought of Vitamin C serum to be safe; however, I think you are wanting results.   If you want results you can see right away try InstaNatural Glycolic Cleanser.  It is gentle enough for sensitive skin but once you use it and rinse it off your face is going to look so clean.  I don't need to use it everyday but it really cleans the skin and its brighter.  I bought mine at iherb.com.   Vit. C serum did nothing for me.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Thank you.  I actually do use a Missha Essence Smiley Happy  Which one do you use?

@monicakm  In the morning, I use Alteya Bulgarian Rose Water.  It’s a true rose petal distillation, not a concoction with rose scent mixed in.  At night, I use the Secret Key Treatment Essence.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've never heard of Missha brand, but I'm out of the loop.  What is the percentage of Vitamin C in it?   I do like the brown bottle and dropper applicator.

I rave about the benefits of Vitamin C serum to anyone who will listen.  However, friends of mine who have tried it didn't see any results or had skin reactions to it.  It works for some of us, and not for others.   I hope the Missha works well for you.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I, too have gotten great results from vitamin C. Talk about a dessert island ingredient - for me, this is it!

However, I think it is one of those skin ingredients (in their various forms) that can be a sleeper. At the very least (which is not least at all for me!) is that vitamin C is a great skin antioxidant. You may not see hit-you-over-the-head visible results, but you know it's working its protection magic.

What intrigues me (just a little) is that niacinamide is included in your formula, @monicakm . Then again, I always thought you could use these two together.

I suppose you could use a moisturizer to buffer it a bit. Or, maybe to put it over your moisturizer. Seems like there is enough in there to try it on its own & afterward moisturize.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

I, too have gotten great results from vitamin C. Talk about a dessert island ingredient - for me, this is it!

However, I think it is one of those skin ingredients (in their various forms) that can be a sleeper. At the very least (which is not least at all for me!) is that vitamin C is a great skin antioxidant. You may not see hit-you-over-the-head visible results, but you know it's working its protection magic.

What intrigues me (just a little) is that niacinamide is included in your formula, @monicakm . Then again, I always thought you could use these two together.

I suppose you could use a moisturizer to buffer it a bit. Or, maybe to put it over your moisturizer. Seems like there is enough in there to try it on its own & afterward moisturize.

@Harpa   Just something toremember: serums go freshly cleansed skin first before anything else...Skincare goes fromt he thinnest to the thickest. So, first is serum, then moisturizer and sunscreen last. When I apply my Vit.C serum, it give it about 10 minutes to soak in and dry before my moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

I apply a toner first then my sunscreen (it's a chemical one) and then my VC serum on top of that b/c my VC is oil-based and it's occlusive so that would prevent the sunscreen from absorbing which chemical sunscreens are formulated to do.

@Shanus 

We've had this discussion before, about the sunscreen application...lol!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I apply a toner first then my sunscreen (it's a chemical one) and then my VC serum on top of that b/c my VC is oil-based and it's occlusive so that would prevent the sunscreen from absorbing which chemical sunscreens are formulated to do.

@Shanus 

We've had this discussion before, about the sunscreen application...lol!

@SilleeMee   Yes, chemical sunscreens are different. I forget because I have to use a physical block.