Honored Contributor

Re: My First Try w/ Vit C In a LONG Time

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee   The biggest disadvantage, to me, of a physical sunscreen is titanium dixoxide. It leaves a whitish film until it absorbs...takes awhile until I can begin makeup. Skinsceuticals has a tinted one that's light enough for my complexion, so tried that one and it leaves less of the white cast.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I've never used a physical sunscreen which didn't leave a white cast on me. I guess maybe b/c my skin is on the tan side of the spectrum. Another thing i don't like about physical sunscreens is that you rely on their physical presence (like an umbrella) to give you protection which can be rubbed off or washed off too easily. I live at high altitude where the damaging UV is 15 to 20% more damaging up here. So I have to be extra careful. My derm recommends chemical sunscreens.

Contributor

I use and love When Hope is Not Enough serum by Philosophy and I always follow-up with a moisturizer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 

Well of course I want results Smiley Happy  I'm very happy with my cleanser Tatcha Rice Wash).  My face looks clean and feels soft and supple.  I then follow it with theTatcha Rice Polish.  I don't really have the issues that one would associate the need forVitt C...YET.  I'm just trying to delay the inevitable.

I bought TO'sGlycolic Acid and it nearly ate a hole in my face Smiley Surprised  I'm sure there are ones out there that aren't as harsh.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

I haven't had luck with Vit C in the past.  Stopped using it decades ago.  But I'm taking much better care of  my skin now and using humectants and moisturizers.  Also I feel there are ingredients in this Vit C serum that helps with dryness.  Missah is a Korean brand.  I've been using and really enjoying a few of their products for several months.  My 82 year old mother swears by Vit C and Retin A, neither of which I've been able to tolerate.  Here she is at 79.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa 

Yes, I saw the Niacinamide in the ingredient list.  Lots of good stuff in this formula.  I use a stand alone niacinamide already.  There are pros and cons of using the two products together but I think the Pros have it.

Honored Contributor

So I've just used this Vit C once.  I use other serums as well.  I used my Missha essence first to give my face hydration before adding HA and my other TO serums.  Then I applied the Vit C-moisturizer-Marula Oil.  IOW, I sandwiched Vit C between light weight serums and heavier products.

Honored Contributor

I don't and won't use sunscreen.  I know that's highly unpopular these days and especially now that I'm using Vit C (with lots of other ingredients in it).  I'm "allergic" to the sun and avoid it like the plague.  No, I don't have sun damage on the left side of my face or my left arm.  In fact the only "spot" of discoloration I have is on the back on my right hand.  It's about half the size of a small pea and a shade darker than the skin around it.  I don't know exactly what it is.  What's funny is I met my husband on a beach while sunbathing.  I had never been there before and never went back.  I let my friends talk me into joining them.  Ugh!  Who WANTS to lay in the baking sun, covered in oil only to have sand stick to you like glue.  That wasn't my idea of fun LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm -- your mom has lovely, radiant skin.  Thanks for the pic.  I agree with her - I also swear by Vit C and Retinol (OK, she uses Retin A).   I believe both keep my complexion looking youthful.  Just need to add a smile!

I'm always happy to meet someone else who doesn't wear daily sunscreen!  The sunscreen creams make my skin too greasy, plus give me breakouts.  I occasionally use  ColorScience sunscreen finishing powder.  Great product for me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm 

I don't think your C will be the cause of a reation, not like traditional L-ascorbic acid does for some, or the other acid you used. There are a lot of buffering ingredients in the Missha.

How did you use it, as a first applied, or over a moisturizer? (And yes, logically, you would use thin to thick, but gosh, I've done all manner of order of application!)