Respected Contributor

My Eye Lashes Won't Hold A Curl

Any suggestions on how to keep the curl? I curl my lashes with an eye lash curler and it curls so nice and after I apply mascara it looks great then 20 minutes later they are falling and the curl is gone and they look awful and I do have long eyelashes. I find as I got older I am now  having this issue.Anyone else have this problem?

Valued Contributor

Re: My Eye Lashes Won't Hold A Curl

Are you using waterproof mascara? 

This sota girl says pop, duck, duck, gray duck and loves tater tot hotdish
Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama  - I don't curl my lashes, but I read that if you warm the lash curler with a blow dryer and apply it to your lashes for a few seconds until it cools, it's supposed to hold them better. 

Valued Contributor

SunSprite  <-------never realized that you aren't supposed to curl your lashes after you put the mascara on

I got so tired of cleaning the curling tool and/or replacing them, I just stopped with the curling.On the plus side, it worked great and held the curl Cat Very Happy 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

@redhead handbag queen wrote:

Are you using waterproof mascara? 

No I don't use water proof mascara

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

Any suggestions on how to keep the curl? I curl my lashes with an eye lash curler and it curls so nice and after I apply mascara it looks great then 20 minutes later they are falling and the curl is gone and they look awful and I do have long eyelashes. I find as I got older I am now  having this issue.Anyone else have this problem?

@cuddlesmama   Sometimes if the mascara is too thick or heavy, it can weigh down lashes. Try different formulas and maybe stick to just one or two coats.

After mascara is on and still wet (do one eye at a time), using your pinkie finger, hold your lashes up slightly for several seconds. This adds to the lift of curl even if lash curler was used before mascara. Hope this helps you. 

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmama wrote:

@cuddlesmama   I have the exact same problem. 

At one time I was using Shiseido mascara base and it was the only mascara base that kept my eyelashes up.  However a few years ago it was discontinued.

So after a lot of trial & error I found a very inexpensive mascara base on Amazon called Dr. Mascara Fixer by ETUDE HOUSE.  It's a Korean company and when you think of it Asian women tend to have very straight hair so it makes sense that they would cater to women with straight lashes.

The tubes are so inexpensive @ around $6.00 each that I will buy a few at a time.  I haven't had a problem with it damaging my lashes either.  I heat my eyelash curler, add the Dr. Fixer mascara base, wait for it to dry & then add my mascara....and they stay up!  I use a good quality eye makeup remover.

Respected Contributor

Use waterproof mascara.

Also might want to try a Shu Uemura curler.  I've had mine for many years - works better than any other.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Curl your lashes after applying mascara. I use a heated curling wand, not a crimping curler where that can pull or break off your lashes.

Respected Contributor

I quit using a curler, now I use lash primer first and I have better luck with them staying up.