Contributor

Re: My Eye Glasses Frames Broke

This exact thing just happened to me about a month ago. I went back to the optical place where I bought them but they didn’t have the exact frame in stock. They were going to order a frame but they found a beautiful frame that they basically forced the lenses to fit into. Well, I have been seeing and feeling just “off” since they did that and I’ve had eye strain and headaches daily. I finally had to cave in and use my bifocal contact lenses, of which I am not a fan! So if possible get the same exact frame. Lesson learned for me
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had an eye exam maybe 3 weeks ago, my prescription hasn't changed since my last eye exam 18 months ago. I found a frame that the lenses would fit in, I asked if the lenses in my current frames could be put into the new frames that I wanted. (old frame broke after 10 months, I had it repaired. There's a 12 month warranty for the repair, it's up in 6 weeks) I was told no, lenses can't be switched between frames, each set is specifically made for the frame it's going into. I got my current frames at Costco, they don't offer any type of warranty, they wanted me to buy a new frame, same model. Instead, I paid $25 for a repair to a guy that I found locally that repairs glasses in his home while you wait.

Esteemed Contributor

You didn't mention where you purchased the frames....were they from your eye doctor? Or online? I buy mine from my eye doctor, so if this happened to me, I'd head straight to her office and ask for their help. They probably deal with something like this more often than you'd think. If you purchased them online, then I can't make a suggestion except to contact them to see what type of warranty or replacement they offer.

Respected Contributor

I bought them from my eye doctor. That's a good idea going back to him and see if they have the same frame.Thanks. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Often the style number of the frame is on the inside of the frame. Knowing that number can help you obtain a replacement fram.

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

You would need the same frame or something almost exactly like it. The lens is cut for the frame.  I was able to find a replica of my frames online.  I needed it because the writing on one of the sides was all worn off and looked cheap.  If you can find the same frames just take it to an optical store and have them change the lenses out.

@Grouchomarx   Yes, the best bet is to try to find a duplicate of the same frame you have. They can then pop the lenses out of the broken ones and into the ones that are exactly alike...if available. 

Respected Contributor

Ladies, I am so excited!! Iwent to vision works today and asked them if they could find a frame for my lenses, and they said yes we do it all of the time!! The salesperson that helped me was so sweet and helpful. She looked for the frames I already have as the item number was right on the right hand of the  arm of the glasses. It did take her awhile and she found them and she had her manager double check to make sure and she said a perfect fit for the lenses. The manger put in the lenses and fitted them  perfectly she had to make sure that fit right did some adjustments. The price was $99.00, but they were having a 1/2 off special. I was soo excited!! I couldn't believe how helpful everyone was and the place was so busy. And I was watching the sales people with other customers and they helped them find the glasses that look good with there face shape. I was very impressed. thought of this place just on a whim and  struck gold!Thank you everyone for your help!!! I never even knew that they can take out the lens and put into another frame!!