Honored Contributor

Re: My Evine Account was Hacked

I will check my evine acct. to make sure there are no fraudulent orders.  But Target?  They tried to get me to open a Target card last time I was in there.  Very high pressure.  I declined politely, but my impulse was to say "Are You Kidding?" 

Super Contributor

Our Discover card was compromised to the tune of FIVE FIGURES several years ago. It happened during a surgical procedure at an outside medical facility. Of course, they deny it, but it was a card I rarely use, so I know where it happened. It turned out to be a big deal, and I needed to sign something saying I would testify in any legal action to be brought against the person who had used my card. I was not responsible for any of the $. It was, however, a nightmare.

That being said, when we travel, or if we are in a restaurant where the card would be out of my sight for even a moment, WE PAY CASH. ALWAYS.

It will not eliminate credit card fraud, but it will stop thieves from taking a quick picture of your number. This happens OFTEN and it happens EVERYWHERE.

In Sunny AZ
Honored Contributor

I'm happy to hear that Evine did exactly as they should have done in that situation.

I've had an account with them for a few years with no security issues but I will certainly be vigilant.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just happened to be on my computer when the email posted.  I get a ding on my cell for new emails and it dinged, so I looked.  YIKES!  The only other times I've had fraud was when I was in Atlanta for business where I ate out.  I had charges before I could get home from the trip.  The charges were in Hartfieldshire, England and online for identity security, HA! The other was 6 purchases of less than $100 each at a Kroger in Cummings, Georgia.  My bank stopped them since I don't shop at those places.  The bank advised me to run my purchases at Visa and not debit because Visa would always give me my money back.  

The one with Evine was solely from my account with them since my CC is saved on my profile for quick ordering.....Now it isn't!  I've changed everything.  I work for the Georgia Department of Corrections and have to be careful!  My father got a phone call from a jail in Savannah saying that he had to put a CC on my account for me to call him.  He called me wanting to know what was going on.  He refused because he knew my first free call would be to him!  I haven't had any other calls about those things, but fraud on the families that have inmates is big, as is identity theft.  We had an inmate, a serious child molester, whose identity was stolen while he was in prison.  The IRS came and all, but of all people to steal their identity, boy did those people pick a doozy!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bumping this back to the top so that hopefully, more people will see it.  

Regular Contributor

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.  I took out all credit

card info from QVC account, leaving only the Qcard for billing purposes,

just to be on the safe side. In the past 5 years, my Bank of America

Mastercard has been "compromised" 3x - each time, they have cancelled

my card and issued a new one, but never say what the problem was.

Here's a funny (inretrospect) incident that happened to a friend a couple

of years ago.  She noticed 2 charges on her Visa that she didn't remember...

After calling Customer Service at Visa, the representative quizzed my

friend: was she sure that these purchases weren't hers? etc... My friend

wanted to know what the purchases were - turns out they were for

rock climbing equipment and pizzas!  My friend became indignant,

stating that she was a 64 yr. old woman with knee problems - there

was no way she was climbing rocks or eating multiple pizzas!!  The

representative relented, asking if she had used her card in restaurants

recently?  My friend had been eating out more than usual; apparently

one of the young waiters had copied her credit card number and made

the purchases online and by phone. 

Now, whenever I eat in a restaurant, I pay with cash.

Valued Contributor

Today I called Visa and closed my account and opened a new one, changed all my passwords, and made sure I didn't have any other "saved" credit cards on any other websites.  I called Evine and explained that my Visa had been compromised and that I would like to pay off my value pays with a check.  The lady in customer service stated that unfortunately they don't accept checks.  I told her that my card had been compromised on their site and that I didn't feel comfortable giving them another credit card number.  She immediately said she was going to transfer me to the credit department.  When I stated the same scenario, this lady immediately offered an address where I could send  a check for the balance of my value pays.  Obviously, they knew they were at fault for the compromise but offered no apology or explanation.  

Thanks so much for posting about these breach.  I'm sure you saved me a lot of future headaches.

Trusted Contributor

Wow! It is amazing that so many of you have had this experience.  I have deleted all my credit card information for on line retailers.  More and more, I prefer to shop in person and pay cash and will only use on line purchases with credit card where I cannot get the item elsewhere.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

Adelina wrote:

Wow! It is amazing that so many of you have had this experience.  I have deleted all my credit card information for on line retailers.  More and more, I prefer to shop in person and pay cash and will only use on line purchases with credit card where I cannot get the item elsewhere.

That's exactly what I've been doing since my credit card got 'compromised' a couple of years ago after a purchase I made on-line. 

I know that my personal information is in many companies' records regardless, which seem to be open to all sorts of nefarious activity.  But I figure that if I order on-line as little as possible, at least it elimates one avenue to be hacked.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry to hear that this has happened, but thanks for the warning.

I checked my account and only made 2 purchases from Evine.  I used Paypal for both purchases (transactions on my Evine account history just say Paypal with no automatic linkup or any numbers listed).   I have no suspicious activity on the CC I have linked to Paypal, and no activity on Evine so far.  

I wonder if my Paypal information was or was not obtainable to whoever hacked into Evine's system?