Honored Contributor

Re: My Avon Rep Charges 18% combined tax & shipping fee

I remember .25 from my days as an AVON rep, many moons ago. It's .75 now and then they add our state sales tax. I love my Avon pages, it's like a little Xmas every other week.

Honored Contributor

I buy Avon thru ebay only. Great prices, no tax and 2% back from ebay bonus bucks and 1% back from Ebates.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I'm lucky that we have an Avon store here at our mall. They honor any sales in the catalog. I don't buy much Avon anymore, but what I get is from the store and just the usual local taxes. No shipping charges.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 tototwo said:

I guess I'm lucky that we have an Avon store here at our mall. They honor any sales in the catalog. I don't buy much Avon anymore, but what I get is from the store and just the usual local taxes. No shipping charges.

interesting....i dont think i have ever actually SEEN an avon STORE.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

sunshine45 -- actually, the Avon store started as a little kiosk in the middle of the mall years ago with one rep selling in the small rented space rather than going door-to-door. She had so much business, she was able to rent store space.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

I just looked it up in NJ there are 3 stores. Never knew they had stores.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/14/2014 Blondelle said:

I would wait for their 20% off sales which will offset your shipping costs. Sign up for their emails at the Avon site to let you know when they are. If you look around on the net you can also see online upcoming campaigns so you can see when what you want will be on sale. You can also order on Ebay and you can find a seller based in Hawaii. Ebay gives you the option of choosing sellers close to you. The prices are also much better there!

The Avon Rep dropped off brochures so I only ordered a few things that were on Sale. Therefore, yes, the 18% surcharge was offset I guess. But it also means I didn't really get anything on sale. When I questioned her about it, (after the fact), she just wrote "yes, we pay a high price to live in paradise." Sigh.

I do buy other items including cosmetics on Ebay so I may look for the few Avon things I use there too.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Trusted Contributor

On 6/14/2014 bonnielu said:

I have a local rep by accident and I decided TO KEEP HER. She finds me the deals and often offers me free items she no longer can sell. I cannot speak to the expense because of where you live but I do know you might be able to find another representative who can figure out how to offset the charges.

Your local rep sounds like a true gem!

Trusted Contributor

On 6/14/2014 Shelbelle said:

I buy Avon thru ebay only. Great prices, no tax and 2% back from ebay bonus bucks and 1% back from Ebates.

I've been buying a little off and on from Ebay since 2006. Not sure why I have never looked into the bonus bucks or Ebates thing. Dumb of me.

Valued Contributor

That stinks. Why not order directly through the website? I'm probably missing something here, tho????? I rarely order from Avon but when I have or want to try something new I go right to the website. I realize I may be missing something.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}