Trusted Contributor

My Avon Rep Charges 18% combined tax & shipping fee

I was shocked and then dismayed to learn that my Avon rep adds 18% to all orders placed and delivered through her. And of course, I didn't know this BEFORE placing my order.

Our sales tax is only 4% and so I couldn't figure out why the dollar amount was so high. I figured there would be a small shipping fee too but 14% seems seriously excessive to me. I know it is higher here in Hawaii but I was not expecting an additional 14% on each and every item!

Does Avon really tack on 14% charges to all the Hawaii Avon reps I wonder? If so, she is just passing on the exorbitant charge and I can't blame her for that. I blame Avon. But if she is padding her bill, I'm upset. Either way, I'm not happy about Avon doing this and probably won't order again. Too bad. I was kind of looking forward to having a local "Avon Lady" again.

I wonder if orders on the mainland still only have a .75 total charge added. I remember when my mom sold Avon and it was only .25 cents, LOL!

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Contributor

Re: My Avon Rep Charges 18% combined tax & shipping fee

Still .75 charge on the mainland. I remember the .25 charge too.

Honored Contributor

can you not have it shipped directly to you? i have an avon rep but i always get a direct delivery from avon.....my rep does get a credit for the sale.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

here are the shipping charges via the avon website if you have the order shipped to your home:

An additional handling charge will be applied to your order at the rate of 15% of merchandise total for Alaska and 12% for Hawaii. The minimum charge is $7. Products with ingredients that are considered hazardous under the Federal Transportation Law cannot be shipped to Alaska or Hawaii. If your order contains one of these products, please select Representative personal delivery at checkout.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

I've always ordered my Avon through their website. 9 times out of 10, it's free shipping. I do have a local representative (a friend of a friend that is trying to make ends meet) that I designate so that she will receive credit for the sale. I have no idea how they process orders to Hawaii but, I too, would be upset if she was padding the bill.

Trusted Contributor

Yeah, I know, sunshine. That's why I was so happy to find a local rep. I ordered 2 $3.00 brow pencils on line and the stupid shipping was $7.00. It's a little better with the rep because there is no $7 minimum. But she is charging 14% not 12% and then of course the 4% tax.

Also, she didn't disclose this before hand. There isn't even anything on the receipt about it. Just the the whopping charge after the subtotal where it would normally be .75cents. Thanks for verifying that, AkitaLover. Can't help but feel ripped off. Then again, I AM living on Maui. Can't really complain TOO much, I guess.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/13/2014 crosscreek said:

I've always ordered my Avon through their website. 9 times out of 10, it's free shipping. I do have a local representative (a friend of a friend that is trying to make ends meet) that I designate so that she will receive credit for the sale. I have no idea how they process orders to Hawaii but, I too, would be upset if she was padding the bill.

It was the advertised FREE shipping that drew me in to order on line the first time. I knew it wouldn't really apply to me, but I thought they could offer me some shipping discount. Nope. It was $7.00 for 2 measly eyebrow pencils! To add insult to injury, they used that stupid 'Smart Post', or whatever the heck it's called where it starts out UPS and end up USPS and it took a FULL MONTH to arrive! Regular ole USPS the whole way from start to finish works really well for sending stuff to Hawaii. So I really hate that stupid Smart Post.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't shop with a company that charges a percentage of the purchase price. The shipping should be a flat fee depending on the size of the package (if free shipping isn't an option)...otherwise it's a total ripoff.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I would wait for their 20% off sales which will offset your shipping costs. Sign up for their emails at the Avon site to let you know when they are. If you look around on the net you can also see online upcoming campaigns so you can see when what you want will be on sale. You can also order on Ebay and you can find a seller based in Hawaii. Ebay gives you the option of choosing sellers close to you. The prices are also much better there!

Esteemed Contributor

I have a local rep by accident and I decided TO KEEP HER. She finds me the deals and often offers me free items she no longer can sell. I cannot speak to the expense because of where you live but I do know you might be able to find another representative who can figure out how to offset the charges.