Honored Contributor

Re: My Amazing Grace Observation

[ Edited ]

Last September, a friend was visiting here from England.  She and I both love AG, but I was telling her that it had changed since Coty bought the company.

I had a new bottle of the eau de parfum that I had just received from QVC (on A/D) and I couldn't smell anything, other than a rather chemical smell, when first applied.  So I asked her to smell it.  Same thing; she couldn't smell anything on my wrist, so she tried it on herself.  Nope, nothing!

A few days later, we were in the local Ulta and I checked out their tester of the AG eau de parfum.  I couldn't believe it; it smelled like the original, so I had her test it and she thought the same.

We had quite a discussion about why there was a difference between the "perfume" I was getting from QVC and the one we had just tested in Ulta.  In fact, later that evening, we could both still smell the AG on our wrists.

I would rather pay full price and get what I pay for, than to pay less and wonder what I'm getting in that bottle of supposed "perfume".

(ETA:  And if QVC isn't aware of what's going on, they should be. There have been plenty of comments over the past couple of years about this subject and we can't all be imagining it.)

Valued Contributor

At one time ordered often form their website and their 16oz bottles smelled strong compared to QVC and even their toilette spray lasted long then QVC perfume. It could be imagined but do believe it smells stronger and lasts longer if you buy in a standing store or off of their website.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The last time I bought Amazing Grace I decided to add the body emulsion and still no fragrance a half hour later.  I did buy mine at a higher end store (Von Maur) and still no fragrance.

Has anyone here ever found a dupe for it?  I would love to find one.

Super Contributor

I am having the same experience! Recently purchased the large bottle of AG Firming lotion and the fragrance is not quite the same as it has been for many years. I will go back to buying the smaller bottles at Ulta and hope to find the original. Ugh, so sad.

Respected Contributor

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has noticied the difference.  

Honored Contributor

At first I thought it was just me and maybe I had just gotten "too used to it" but I buy it for my mother every Christmas and I don't smell it on her either. 

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

At first I thought it was just me and maybe I had just gotten "too used to it" but I buy it for my mother every Christmas and I don't smell it on her either. 

That's the first thing they'll tell you - that you've become "nose blind" to it.  Not true.  When people I know ask why I'm no longer wearing "that lovely perfume you used to wear", I know it's not just me.

The very same thing happened when QVC bought Tova's company and changed her "Signature" and "Tova Nights" perfumes.  The security guard where I worked loved that scent on me and one day said "You don't wear that wonderful perfume any more."  I said, yes, I did and that I was wearing it that day!  He said "No...you're not" and said he missed it.

There were endless threads at that from longtime users of Tova's perfumes, but all we kept being told was, nothing had changed, it was a result of "menopausal women's hormones" changing.  Can you imagine? (And was my male security guard menopausal?)

Whatever our various ages, we're not stupid.  Smiley Mad

Valued Contributor

I'll try Ulta. I'm still crushed the AG was murdered by Coty. The stuff sold on the Phil.com also has no scent.

Contributor

Everytime I'm at Ulta I give the AG sample (spray fragrance and moisturizer) another try hoping that it has the original scent but the smell is just horrible. Musky, musty (reminds me of old cat urine) and with a chemical/plastic smell--there is not one recognizable organic scent in this fragrance. For me it's not even that the "scent" doesn't last long it's that the actual scent is so horrible.  AG was my signature fragrance for about 10 years before Coty bought it. It is such a shame Coty ruined such a beautiful fresh fragrance. 

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes

I agree with your observation! I bought the body wash & small perfume from Q and then I bought a smaller size while I was at home to keep with my toiletries there from Ulta. 

Oh oh my goodness, I got compliments galore (as I always did before). The scent of both the perfume lasted all day. 

I am of the same feeling, the formulation is different. In fact, I recently bought Hope in A Jar at Sephora and it seems to have better texture (less watery).

Im in my mind comparing buying Hellmans brand name mayo to a store brand yuck!  I only buy name brand foods because the store brand never seems to taste the same to me! And I won't cut back on tried & true brands - always consistent!

I stopped all my AD from Q it's worth it to buy at either Ulta or Sephora even though most philosophy items are the same price but not "super sized".