Super Contributor

Re: Most expensive is not always best.

I have a $300 jar of face cream from Japan. I like my Skinn face cream that cost $40.00 more.
Honored Contributor

On 9/7/2014 spookyghost said:
On 9/7/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 9/7/2014 mstyrion said:
On 9/7/2014 txskies said:

Aveeno Radiant has mostly soy based ingredients. For the person who mentioned mica-mica is a mineral, and in powder form, gives a glow to the skin. It also contains sun screen, and does not contain oil, which can clog pores and create skin problems. Why not try something that costs from $10-14 dollars? - if it does not work for you, no big financial loss. The product is doing very well, and they are not coming out with eye cream, night cream, etc., expanding their line. For those who want to talk about ingredients-have you ever read the ingredients in IT products from QVC ? Snail slime is one of them - check the ingredients, yourself.

I don't think anyone was criticizing the fact Mica is in the product. It was just pointed out that Mica was the reason for the radiance-not a special skin-improving ingredient.

I use what works best for me too. In some things drug store works. In others it doesn't.

Yes, thank you, mystyrion. That's all I did mean. When people talk about radiance around here in term of skin care, I do think that usually they're referring to a glow or a certain look that is the effect of treatment. Mica is what creates a shimmer effect (e.g., shimmer eyeshadows).

I was definitely not criticizing the product itself.

But yes, I do check ingredients , because I have very sensitive skin and mild rosacea. So I make sure that a product has no known irritants in them. As for snail slime, I have no opinion one way or the other. I don't use the product mentioned. For all I know, it may be an excellent ingredient with a very unfortunate label. If I were interested, I would do my due diligence to find out.

I'm with you in term of the perennial debate around here regarding drugstore v. higher-end products. I buy what works for me.

I also have rosacea. Pretty sure mild rosacea. I know what works for one may not work for someone else. But could you please tell me what you use? Skin care and makeup? I like hearing what works for other people because maybe it would work for me too.

spookyghost, I would say that I'm more concerned about my sensitive skin than I am about what might be a very mild case of rosacea.

I have very few problems with products because I stick with those that have no irritants or, if there are one or two, they're at the end of the deck. Once in while, though, wow -- not too long ago, I applied an aloe product on my face and had severe burning and itching for hours. Who knew? {#emotions_dlg.scared} Just one of those things.

I check out prospective products on Beautypedia so that I can read reviews that are based more on ingredients than on users' experience, although I do take the latter into consideration as well.

I use several of Paula's Choice products and think that her site and her customer service are very helpful for avoiding skin care products that might irritate my skin. You might check it out. Take some time and read about the different lines she has and their products.

I use a couple of her moisturizers (one with SPF), a couple serums (one is a retinol serum), a couple toners, and her make-up remover. If you do peruse her site and are interested, I will be happy to tell you exactly which of the aforementioned I use, but we may have different types skin and issues we want to address.

I also use Juice Beauty Cleansing Milk and NCN's Vit C serum and Multi-Active Matrixyl 25% serum.

For makeup, I don't worry as much. I use pretty much whatever appeals to me texture-wise and color-wise. I will admit that I'm not a big fan of drugstore makeup in general. I just have better luck elsewhere.

HTH.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Everyone should use what works best for them. I use Dr. Denese products. My daughter saw me after not seeing me in person for over a year.

She'd been told her skin was getting in bad shape by the dermatologist (she'd move to Denver 2 years before). When I went to take care of her due to surgery, she started using my Dr Denese.

She loves it (she's 34 years old). I have to buy it for her because it's expensive for her. She said the dermatologist said 'something' was working because it looks way better.

I also like Serious Skin care (HSN) for some things. Her Vitamin C pads are wonderful. Help get rid of brown age and sun spots.

Mix it all up people. That's what works.

Trusted Contributor

I went through a period of unemployment several years ago and I was forced to cut back on my spending in all areas. I looked for less expensive alternatives to the skin care items I was using, and after some trial and error, was able to find great products for a lot less money than I was paying.

I've had a great job for a few years now but continue to use my less expensive alternatives and I have never looked back.

Super Contributor

On 9/7/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 9/7/2014 spookyghost said:
On 9/7/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 9/7/2014 mstyrion said:
On 9/7/2014 txskies said:

Aveeno Radiant has mostly soy based ingredients. For the person who mentioned mica-mica is a mineral, and in powder form, gives a glow to the skin. It also contains sun screen, and does not contain oil, which can clog pores and create skin problems. Why not try something that costs from $10-14 dollars? - if it does not work for you, no big financial loss. The product is doing very well, and they are not coming out with eye cream, night cream, etc., expanding their line. For those who want to talk about ingredients-have you ever read the ingredients in IT products from QVC ? Snail slime is one of them - check the ingredients, yourself.

I don't think anyone was criticizing the fact Mica is in the product. It was just pointed out that Mica was the reason for the radiance-not a special skin-improving ingredient.

I use what works best for me too. In some things drug store works. In others it doesn't.

Yes, thank you, mystyrion. That's all I did mean. When people talk about radiance around here in term of skin care, I do think that usually they're referring to a glow or a certain look that is the effect of treatment. Mica is what creates a shimmer effect (e.g., shimmer eyeshadows).

I was definitely not criticizing the product itself.

But yes, I do check ingredients , because I have very sensitive skin and mild rosacea. So I make sure that a product has no known irritants in them. As for snail slime, I have no opinion one way or the other. I don't use the product mentioned. For all I know, it may be an excellent ingredient with a very unfortunate label. If I were interested, I would do my due diligence to find out.

I'm with you in term of the perennial debate around here regarding drugstore v. higher-end products. I buy what works for me.

I also have rosacea. Pretty sure mild rosacea. I know what works for one may not work for someone else. But could you please tell me what you use? Skin care and makeup? I like hearing what works for other people because maybe it would work for me too.

spookyghost, I would say that I'm more concerned about my sensitive skin than I am about what might be a very mild case of rosacea.

I have very few problems with products because I stick with those that have no irritants or, if there are one or two, they're at the end of the deck. Once in while, though, wow -- not too long ago, I applied an aloe product on my face and had severe burning and itching for hours. Who knew? {#emotions_dlg.scared} Just one of those things.

I check out prospective products on Beautypedia so that I can read reviews that are based more on ingredients than on users' experience, although I do take the latter into consideration as well.

I use several of Paula's Choice products and think that her site and her customer service are very helpful for avoiding skin care products that might irritate my skin. You might check it out. Take some time and read about the different lines she has and their products.

I use a couple of her moisturizers (one with SPF), a couple serums (one is a retinol serum), a couple toners, and her make-up remover. If you do peruse her site and are interested, I will be happy to tell you exactly which of the aforementioned I use, but we may have different types skin and issues we want to address.

I also use Juice Beauty Cleansing Milk and NCN's Vit C serum and Multi-Active Matrixyl 25% serum.

For makeup, I don't worry as much. I use pretty much whatever appeals to me texture-wise and color-wise. I will admit that I'm not a big fan of drugstore makeup in general. I just have better luck elsewhere.

HTH.

Sensitive skin and Rosacea usually go hand in hand. Most people with Rosacea have sensitive skin.

Esteemed Contributor

I think a good percentage of cosmetic consumers realize that price is relevant to a lot of factors other than product quality and performance. Some even get it that there are very few names on the labels of what's sold who are the manufacturer's as well. Most brands are distributors of a product made by a third company using a formula which has been shared with others (cosmetic companies). Occasionally the manufacturing company will add a drop of this or that to a formula (for a big enough client), so that the particular cosmetic company can market their product as being formulated with an exclusive complex of ingredients.

Having said that we still must keep in mind that it's a roll of the dice as to what will work for you compared to someone else. Some people need the pricey makeup and skincare, while others do just fine with drugstore makeup and skincare.

Esteemed Contributor

The product that works best on my skin is Studio 35, Walgreens brand.

Super Contributor

I think you have to read the labels. Companies can fill drugstore and department store products with cheap ingredients like mineral oil, petrolatum and silicones. But more expensive ingredients will make a product more expensive.

I use a Cerave cleanser, but I use Clinique and Estee Lauder skincare.

Frequent Contributor

I, too, have a mix of inexpensive and expensive products in my skincare and makeup inventory. But if I had to choose one single item to be with me on the proverbial desert island, it would be Vaseline. Just about as simple and inexpensive as you can get. Is it a perfect product? Oh heck no, but it IS a multi-tasker. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Frequent Contributor

SuzyQ3 -I would love to know exactly what products you use. I also have mild rosacea and am having a difficult time finding anything that I like right now.