Respected Contributor

I love using hot rollers, but I always think I have frumped up my hair when I do it. I think I'm going to get a serious opinion on it and if enough think it looks good I'm going to go back to it. I usually just grab the InStyler and go about my messy hairstyle, but I get bored with it, and I end up using way too much product to get the textured look.

Honored Contributor
On 5/12/2014 tigriss said:
On 5/12/2014 happy housewife said:

I was thinking of getting a set of calista hot rollers for a change but they do not have good reviews, so I changed my mind. Right now I have a conair dryer with round brush on it and that is how I dry and shape my hair - but occasionally curls would be nice.

I have curl resistant, fine hair, so the Calista rollers are perfect because they continue to heat versus the Conair Xtreme heat jumbo and extra jumbo rollers that just don't get hot enough for my hair. The Calista rollers do get hot, but I have spent far too much time in the kitchen, so my fingers are not sensitive to their heat. They do work well. I use the long ones for maximum hair hold due to the thickness of my hair. If I want less tight of a curl, I use more hair and less hair for a tighter curl.

In the reviews of this product everyone with fine hair says they don't stay in - that's why i didn't get them, I have baby fine hair and don't want to spend over $ 100 on curlers that don't stay in.

Respected Contributor

You have to roll them right! I also spray the sections with hair spray to give the hair some tooth and keep the curl longer. Spray gel would work too! Then I spray the whole head with super fine mist hair spray. Rusk Being Sexy works great and smells great too!

Honored Contributor

If you want something quick in the morning, you might want to consider sleeping in rag/foam curlers, a twist out, or cocoon curls. You can see tutorials for all of those on YouTube. You can look by name or search for "heatless curls" and you'll get hundreds of tutorials.

Honored Contributor
On 5/12/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

If you want something quick in the morning, you might want to consider sleeping in rag/foam curlers, a twist out, or cocoon curls. You can see tutorials for all of those on YouTube. You can look by name or search for "heatless curls" and you'll get hundreds of tutorials.

When i was a little girl in the 50's my Mom would wrap my hair in rags - it would come out with those big spiral curls all over. Shades of Shirley Temple. Oh how I hated those curls.

Honored Contributor
On 5/12/2014 happy housewife said:
On 5/12/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

When i was a little girl in the 50's my Mom would wrap my hair in rags - it would come out with those big spiral curls all over. Shades of Shirley Temple. Oh how I hated those curls.

You can wrap larger sections to get larger curls. They don't only do tight ringlets.

Respected Contributor

Velcro rollers!