Honored Contributor

Re: More subdued lip colors

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus I'm not trying to be a smart *ss but I don't understand why you need so many lip colors.I have Lipstick Queen Medievil - a sheer red , lipstick queen morning sun - a sheer coral and a clinique nude called bountiful blush that I've had for ages. I wear the medievil 90% of the time.I can't imagine needing any more than a nice complimentary red , coral and nude. Maybe a pink if I looked nice in pink lipstick - but I don't.

@151949  With all due respect, maybe lipstick’s not your thing, but you have 4 different shadow palettes, 8 liners, 3 powders, etc. Each person’s different. I’m not sure why it matters how many lipsticks someone else has or needs. It’s personal preference, budget, etc. Good for you if you can narrow your stash down to 3 or 4 lipsticks. I’d guess, from what I’ve experienced, many women, myself included, have at least a dozen tubes being used in rotation (3 are favorites) & maybe 6-8 more that were duds, but are kept “just in case”. 

@Shanus  I don't know where you got what I bolded but it isn't true. I have one mascara and one eyeliner and that is my total eye makeup.Your confusing me with someone else.

I also don't know why my reply has posted in blue.

@151949. It’s “for example” or a “perhaps”. Of course, I haven’t counted your makeup products. 

Trusted Contributor
I cannot wear nudes, they leave me too pasty; and I can't carry off browns or dark lipstick. My skin color is fair, my eyes hazel, hair golden brown, lashes and brows - dark. I can wear pinks and peaches. I do have the Clinique Black Honey. I did not believe that I could possibly wear it I but I can. It is a winter color for me. I have to be really careful with red. Most are too strong for me, but I got a red Clinique chubby stick, which I tried, topped with gloss to sheer out a little, and coincidentally was stopped on the street that morning and told by a man that I had a beautiful face. Love this thread. Lipstick is fun!
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

So, I have found a couple of combinations that are working quite nicely for me for a subdued lip.  I can even wear without other makeup and it doesn't look like "oh, she's wearing lipstick with no makeup".  For some reason no one color ever seems to work for me.  The base layer is either L'Oreal's Infallible Pro Matte Les Chocolats in 842 Candy Man for the most subdued color or L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte in 316 Statement Nude for a bit more color.  I let the base color dry and then add Elf's Lip Oil in Pink Kiss.  

Esteemed Contributor

I like lipsticks that make your lips look like a better version of themselves which means berries and rose shades. I am picky about nude shades; they really have to have a berry or rose undertone. I don't wear red lipstick at all as it doesn't suit me. I am always on the hunt for the perfect lipstick though.

Honored Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:
I cannot wear nudes, they leave me too pasty; and I can't carry off browns or dark lipstick. My skin color is fair, my eyes hazel, hair golden brown, lashes and brows - dark. I can wear pinks and peaches. I do have the Clinique Black Honey. I did not believe that I could possibly wear it I but I can. It is a winter color for me. I have to be really careful with red. Most are too strong for me, but I got a red Clinique chubby stick, which I tried, topped with gloss to sheer out a little, and coincidentally was stopped on the street that morning and told by a man that I had a beautiful face. Love this thread. Lipstick is fun!

@MarieIG

I agree -- lipstick IS fun!  It is truly the only makeup item that I really, really, think IS fu!!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

So, I have found a couple of combinations that are working quite nicely for me for a subdued lip.  I can even wear without other makeup and it doesn't look like "oh, she's wearing lipstick with no makeup".  For some reason no one color ever seems to work for me.  The base layer is either L'Oreal's Infallible Pro Matte Les Chocolats in 842 Candy Man for the most subdued color or L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte in 316 Statement Nude for a bit more color.  I let the base color dry and then add Elf's Lip Oil in Pink Kiss.  

@Icegoddess

Sounds very pretty!  Feels good when you find a winning combo!!! 

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

I like lipsticks that make your lips look like a better version of themselves which means berries and rose shades. I am picky about nude shades; they really have to have a berry or rose undertone. I don't wear red lipstick at all as it doesn't suit me. I am always on the hunt for the perfect lipstick though.

@TY

I think so, too,about making lips looking like a better version!  And also aboyut nudes having to have a rosy tone.  

Valued Contributor

@Harpa - thanks for the recommendation.  I had a coupon for CVS and tried this NYX Nude Matte. I don't wear much lip color at all, but this seemed to pull when I applied it out of the tube.....wasn't the best color for me - even though it's beautiful. 

I searched thru my "stash" of rarely worn cosmetics and found that the one that matches me best is Clinique Almost Lipstick Pink Honey. Also have the Black Honey which seems a tad too dark for me.......but I'm cosmetically challenged when it comes to colors.  Sometimes I wear both together.