Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I can't wear nudes.  Wish I could but they wash me out so badly plus my lips are somewhat dark.  I wear lots of berrys which make me look alive.

@haddon9

True nudes are very bad on me as well.  So, don't feel bad.  There has to be some pink to them. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I've never felt like myself when I've tried bold lip colors. I've always gone for wearable shades of pink, rose, or mauve. One of my favorites is Laura Geller's Italian Marble Strawberry Toffee.

@suzyQ3

I got this in one of her kits one.  Oh, my --- do I like this one!  It is the oddest looking thing in the tube.  I thought --- ewwww -- what the heck is this??  But once I tried it, I couldn't believe how nice it was.  So smooth -- not heavy and such a lovely color!!!  Does she still make it?  I have had mine for some time.  I would love to purchase another tube -- a spare!  This lipstick is actually the one which got me started on going for the more subdued and natural looking lip colors!!!  It is genious!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Darker shades of lipstick can make lips appear thinner. Muddy nudes or nudes that are too grey or beige look corpse-like. Before I went grey/white/silver (?), I fell prey to nude pinks that had a lot of brown..then even blotted those down a bit. Now I’ve found some pinks that are not too bright or muddy. Keep in mind that my natural lip color has some pink, so I try to “match”, as close as possible, to my lip color. They don’t appear as bright on my face as on my arm that has NO color. See above.

I’m sure others w/ quite fair complexions have the same issue that too bright a lip makes it difficult to find a blush shade that doesn’t appear like “stage makeup”...way overdone and visible fro the balcony seats. 

See my go to color swatches in next post.

@Shanus

Same here!  I have still color in my lips but not enough.  Very light shades do not even show on me -- just look like gloss.  So, I do need some enhancement but just not comfortable with the really bright colors I used to enjoy.

Good morning @AngelPuppy1. I use a nude pencil w/ all lipsticks, but sometimes use a pink or rose pencil to line/fill in and then use a pale pink gloss....more casual than full on lipstick. The pencil gives gloss something to hold on to.

@Shanus, what pencils do you use? I have never used a pencil.  Thanks.

@Icegoddess  You want to match your lip color w/ lip pencils...not the lipstick. Then as the lipstick wears off, you don’t have any artificial color around your lips. For me, it’s been Bobbi Brown Ballet Pink, but just found 2 great pinky/nudes by Rimmel at the drugstore for under $3 each...automatic pencils, no sharpening!! For more color under gloss, look for a shade of pencil you’d like your total look to be. I’ve used Wet ‘N Wild #666 (a good rosy brown). Some great other pencil colors can be found at MAC, BB, and drugstore brands. 

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@Icegoddess If you aren't used to seeing yourself with lipstick, even the most natural shade is going to look dark to you. Like you, anything that has a whiff of orange looks terrible on me.  I have stayed with colors in the "nude pink" category;  no pastel pink, tan-pink, naked pink, or anything shimmering or glittery.  I like to go with a satin or cream finish lipstick. 

My lipstick always looks better when I don't "try too hard" to apply it perfectly.  I stay within my lip lines but don't try to work it into the very corners of my mouth, that makes me look like a clown.

I only have sight in one eye, some days are better than others. On days when I just can't seem to make my lipstick look okay, I rub my finger on the end of the lipstick bullet and apply my lipstick with my finger.  You will be surprised at the amount of control you have using your finger.  Don't swipe or smear, just gently blot your finger along your lips, adding more color as you wish. I hope I've helped, even just a little. Don't give up, just a tiny bit of lipstick will make you look brighter!  

@Quinny  One of my recent finds was using my lip pencil that matches my lips to line/fill in and Burt’s Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm on top...definition and a touch of color w/ shine and moisture all in 2 easy steps. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Lipstick has always been a nemesis for me.  For one, I obviously don't know how to apply it since it always looks like I have something sitting on my lips.  The people I see on TV's lipstick makes it look like their lips are that color.  

The other problem is shade.  I can't wear anythig that has any orange in it whatsoever.  I do lean towards berries, but have been looking for the more muted tones I'm seeing more and more, so it does seem to be a trend.  However, the colors that look so good in the tube in the store end up looking terrible on me.  Some of them look like I'm trying to paint my lips the same color as my skin, not a good look at all.  At least I have been able to save some of them by putting a darker color over and smooshing them together.  

I was at least able to find a shade that is almost the color of my actual lips, but slightly darker.  You would think that would work for me, but it ends up being darker than what I really want for a natural lip.

The struggle is real.

@Icegoddess

It IS real!!!  The tubes look nothing like what the real color is.  So frustrating.  For me, the majority of colors end up being either way too pale or way too dark.  Not much in between!!! 

@AngelPuppy1  For lipsticks and foundation, dept. stores are my only way to go. They use a stick to take a sample of lip colors, put it on your finger and you can actually apply it before purchasing. Be sure to ask for a facial cleanser/cotton pad between trials so you get a true read of the color. I’ve stood at counter long enough that my lips were stained even with cleanser. That’s when I ask for a touch of foundation to apply to lips to neutralize them before starting again. It’s a PIA, just like finding the correct foundation, but once you find the perfect one...such satisfaction!!!!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I've never felt like myself when I've tried bold lip colors. I've always gone for wearable shades of pink, rose, or mauve. One of my favorites is Laura Geller's Italian Marble Strawberry Toffee.

@suzyQ3

I got this in one of her kits one.  Oh, my --- do I like this one!  It is the oddest looking thing in the tube.  I thought --- ewwww -- what the heck is this??  But once I tried it, I couldn't believe how nice it was.  So smooth -- not heavy and such a lovely color!!!  Does she still make it?  I have had mine for some time.  I would love to purchase another tube -- a spare!  This lipstick is actually the one which got me started on going for the more subdued and natural looking lip colors!!!  It is genious!!! 

@AngelPuppy1, I bought another back-up here on QVC just a few weeks ago. I also bought it in Sweet Berry, which I like, but not as much as I love the Strawberry Toffee. In the past, I have bought it on the LG site, but I didn't see it there recently.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3

@AngelPuppy1, I bought another back-up here on QVC just a few weeks ago. I also bought it in Sweet Berry, which I like, but not as much as I love the Strawberry Toffee. In the past, I have bought it on the LG site, but I didn't see it there recently.

@suzyQ3

Thank you!  I will have to see if its still there!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I'm not trying to be a smart *ss but I don't understand why you need so many lip colors.I have Lipstick Queen Medievil - a sheer red , lipstick queen morning sun - a sheer coral and a clinique nude called bountiful blush that I've had for ages. I wear the medievil 90% of the time.I can't imagine needing any more than a nice complimentary red , coral and nude. Maybe a pink if I looked nice in pink lipstick - but I don't.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Shanus I'm not trying to be a smart *ss but I don't understand why you need so many lip colors.I have Lipstick Queen Medievil - a sheer red , lipstick queen morning sun - a sheer coral and a clinique nude called bountiful blush that I've had for ages. I wear the medievil 90% of the time.I can't imagine needing any more than a nice complimentary red , coral and nude. Maybe a pink if I looked nice in pink lipstick - but I don't.

@151949  With all due respect, maybe lipstick’s not your thing, but you have 4 different shadow palettes, 8 liners, 3 powders, etc. Each person’s different. I’m not sure why it matters how many lipsticks someone else has or needs. It’s personal preference, budget, etc. Good for you if you can narrow your stash down to 3 or 4 lipsticks. I’d guess, from what I’ve experienced, many women, myself included, have at least a dozen tubes being used in rotation (3 are favorites) & maybe 6-8 more that were duds, but are kept “just in case”. 

Honored Contributor

Re: More subdued lip colors

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949  With all due respect, maybe lipstick’s not your thing, but you have 4 different shadow palettes, 8 liners, 3 powders, etc. Each person’s different. I’m not sure why it matters how many lipsticks someone else has or needs. It’s personal preference, budget, etc. Good for you if you can narrow your stash down to 3 or 4 lipsticks. I’d guess, from what I’ve experienced, many women, myself included, have at least a dozen tubes being used in rotation (3 are favorites) & maybe 6-8 more that were duds, but are kept “just in case”. 

@Shanus  I don't know where you got what I bolded but it isn't true. I have one mascara and one eyeliner and that is my total eye makeup.Your confusing me with someone else.

I also don't know why my reply has posted in blue.