Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Darker shades of lipstick can make lips appear thinner. Muddy nudes or nudes that are too grey or beige look corpse-like. Before I went grey/white/silver (?), I fell prey to nude pinks that had a lot of brown..then even blotted those down a bit. Now I’ve found some pinks that are not too bright or muddy. Keep in mind that my natural lip color has some pink, so I try to “match”, as close as possible, to my lip color. They don’t appear as bright on my face as on my arm that has NO color. See above.

I’m sure others w/ quite fair complexions have the same issue that too bright a lip makes it difficult to find a blush shade that doesn’t appear like “stage makeup”...way overdone and visible fro the balcony seats. 

See my go to color swatches in next post.

@Shanus

Same here!  I have still color in my lips but not enough.  Very light shades do not even show on me -- just look like gloss.  So, I do need some enhancement but just not comfortable with the really bright colors I used to enjoy.

Good morning @AngelPuppy1. I use a nude pencil w/ all lipsticks, but sometimes use a pink or rose pencil to line/fill in and then use a pale pink gloss....more casual than full on lipstick. The pencil gives gloss something to hold on to.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I am 59 years old and a lipstick fanatic, and I still like my Mauve's, but now more of a muted Mauve. I guess I am gravitating to more subdued colors, I still need color, but not so bold and bright anymore....

@CANDLEQUEEN

Yes, me too!  I like mauve also.  It's hard to find the perfet one.  Not too blah and not too loud!!! 

@AngelPuppy1@CANDLEQUEEN  Instead of tossing some of my darker or brighter colors, I dab them on w/ finger & if still too much color, blot w/ tissue.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Subdued lip colors do not show up on me and do nothing for my skin tone. I like the bricks, berries and brownpinks. Clinique has what they call Almost Lipstick they call Black Honey, that I have been wearing all summer.

@blackhole99

I believe Black Honey is the color that was just written up in a magazine -- sorry, can't remember which one!  It said this color has been around for a very long time and has a cult following. It claims it can be worn by nearly everyone!  Can you sort of describe it?  It says it looks rather dark, black like in the tube, but goes on rather sheer. 

@AngelPuppy1  Yes, it’s scary black in tube, but goes on a sheer, wearable berry tone.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Janicecp wrote:

Me, I prefer less subdued colors. I'm 56. I like shine, shimmer, color--- sometimes more bold, sometimes less. Will this change in 10 years? We'll see. 

PS-- may lose mine if too many more nude and/ or matte palettes come out!

@Janicecp

I like a bit of shimmer, too.  I have to watch that a lip product is not overly moist though as I have an issue with bleeding.  

@AngelPuppy1  BB Shimmer Lipsticks were my favorites. So, of course they were discontinued. My friend said she found a few shades on Amazon.

Honored Contributor

I've never felt like myself when I've tried bold lip colors. I've always gone for wearable shades of pink, rose, or mauve. One of my favorites is Laura Geller's Italian Marble Strawberry Toffee.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I am 59 years old and a lipstick fanatic, and I still like my Mauve's, but now more of a muted Mauve. I guess I am gravitating to more subdued colors, I still need color, but not so bold and bright anymore....

@CANDLEQUEEN

Yes, me too!  I like mauve also.  It's hard to find the perfet one.  Not too blah and not too loud!!! 

@AngelPuppy1@CANDLEQUEEN  Instead of tossing some of my darker or brighter colors, I dab them on w/ finger & if still too much color, blot w/ tissue.

@Shanus@AngelPuppy1I use gloss to lighten my dark colors up! 

Honored Contributor

Subdued colors often have grey mixed into them to mute them. When they put in too much grey, you get into the zombie zone. The kiddos can pull off that look and look fashionable and edgy. I absolutely can't.

I need exactly the right mix of red, blue, and grey in my colors. With very little yellow. Dusty mauves and roses. When a color says dusty, it generally means some grey is in there.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

You ladies who like lighter colors with shimmer not shine...me too and I found these NYX shimmer colors and here's some good swatches. My favorite is Vitamin...a very pretty shimmery pinky/peach. I buy from their online site....good sales . http://gimikdgirl.blogspot.com/2010/08/nyx-round-lipsticks-swatches.html

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Darker shades of lipstick can make lips appear thinner. Muddy nudes or nudes that are too grey or beige look corpse-like. Before I went grey/white/silver (?), I fell prey to nude pinks that had a lot of brown..then even blotted those down a bit. Now I’ve found some pinks that are not too bright or muddy. Keep in mind that my natural lip color has some pink, so I try to “match”, as close as possible, to my lip color. They don’t appear as bright on my face as on my arm that has NO color. See above.

I’m sure others w/ quite fair complexions have the same issue that too bright a lip makes it difficult to find a blush shade that doesn’t appear like “stage makeup”...way overdone and visible fro the balcony seats. 

See my go to color swatches in next post.

@Shanus

Same here!  I have still color in my lips but not enough.  Very light shades do not even show on me -- just look like gloss.  So, I do need some enhancement but just not comfortable with the really bright colors I used to enjoy.

Good morning @AngelPuppy1. I use a nude pencil w/ all lipsticks, but sometimes use a pink or rose pencil to line/fill in and then use a pale pink gloss....more casual than full on lipstick. The pencil gives gloss something to hold on to.

@Shanus, what pencils do you use? I have never used a pencil.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1I got a sample of it at the Clinique makeup counter, it's a black cherry color IMO in the tube and on me it looks like a brick red color. I think it's one of those almost lipsticks that play off the natural color of your lips.It certainly will not look the same on every woman. I have a natural red lip color , I think if your lips are more pink it will be a lighter red color and if you are a woman of color I have an idea it will be the black cherry color on your lips.