Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Subdued lip colors do not show up on me and do nothing for my skin tone. I like the bricks, berries and brownpinks. Clinique has what they call Almost Lipstick they call Black Honey, that I have been wearing all summer.

@blackhole99

I believe Black Honey is the color that was just written up in a magazine -- sorry, can't remember which one!  It said this color has been around for a very long time and has a cult following. It claims it can be worn by nearly everyone!  Can you sort of describe it?  It says it looks rather dark, black like in the tube, but goes on rather sheer. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Most of the time, I'm wearing pinks, berries, and mauves, but I have been using some melons and corals this summer.  The shade and formulation (true lipstick, tinted balm, gloss), whether bold or subdued, depends on my oufit, where I'm going, and what I'm doing with my eye makeup that day.  IMO, the nude lip look may be able to be pulled off by younger gals who still have a fresh, natural, healthy glow and blush to their complexion but looks like concealer or a mortician's makeup as we get older.  When we lose that naturally fresh color in our faces as we age, blush and color on our lips is a must.  JMO

@JeanLouiseFinch

I agree about the nude lip thing.  If you do not have good color to your skin, it does not look nice at all.  I know I certainly can't wear it. 

Honored Contributor

@Janicecp wrote:

Me, I prefer less subdued colors. I'm 56. I like shine, shimmer, color--- sometimes more bold, sometimes less. Will this change in 10 years? We'll see. 

PS-- may lose mine if too many more nude and/ or matte palettes come out!

@Janicecp

I like a bit of shimmer, too.  I have to watch that a lip product is not overly moist though as I have an issue with bleeding.  

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 I am so glad you wrote this post! In my mid-40s, I felt like the brighter berry lip colors I'd worn for so long didn't look the same on me as they once did. Different as in, "not good". I purchased a much more subdued shade, outside of the berry shades altogether and couldn't believe the difference.  I experimented around with different shades, some were too naked or nude and looked pasty on me, but eventually, I found 3 shades I like. I cannot wear matte lipsticks, I've tried a few brands and find them very aging on me. 

@Quinny

Sometimes you look in the mirror and you just can't figure out exactly what is off and then it hits you!  I guess in makeup, what was once good, is not always good --- unfortunately!  Same with me --- just lately I have found a couple shades that I am really happy with.  Feels good!!!  

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

I'm loving NARS "O" Afterglow lip balm. If I want a little more color, I pop on some darker lip gloss. It is a perfect color for me.

@VenturaHighway

That looks really pretty!

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1   I think it does have a lot to do with age but also our personal taste revolving.  I am 68, I do go for subdued colors but every once in a while I still love Healthy Lips in Laura Mercier's Sheer collection.  It is in the red family but it is not flaming but a tamed down red but very pretty like healthy lips should look.  I tend to like it more in the Fall and Winter.  Cat Happy

@Katcat1

Maybe so, I really don't know.  Maybe I'm just not the wild thing I was!!!  LOL!!!!  I do like a good red occasionally but for the most part I enjoy having a nice healthy glow to my lips but not a color that screams --- hey, over here!!!!! 

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for sharing!  I have so much enjoyed reading all your replies!  It's been very enlightening and fun!  I love hearing what others think, feel and use regarding makeup and grooming products.  I always want to learn more, look better and feel better about myself!!! 

Honored Contributor

I just purchased a MAC lipcolor called So Swell, it is so pretty, it is a muted Mauve with a little shimmer, and it is very pretty......I think it is a color most people can wear. It feels really good on the lips as well......

Respected Contributor

I really like the ELF Gotta Glow Lip Tint in the peach and the pink shades. It turns the most perfect color of all the "tints/stains" and lasts.Top with one of the ELF lipglosses.

Image result for elf gotta glow lip

Honored Contributor

Lipstick has always been a nemesis for me.  For one, I obviously don't know how to apply it since it always looks like I have something sitting on my lips.  The people I see on TV's lipstick makes it look like their lips are that color.  

The other problem is shade.  I can't wear anythig that has any orange in it whatsoever.  I do lean towards berries, but have been looking for the more muted tones I'm seeing more and more, so it does seem to be a trend.  However, the colors that look so good in the tube in the store end up looking terrible on me.  Some of them look like I'm trying to paint my lips the same color as my skin, not a good look at all.  At least I have been able to save some of them by putting a darker color over and smooshing them together.  

I was at least able to find a shade that is almost the color of my actual lips, but slightly darker.  You would think that would work for me, but it ends up being darker than what I really want for a natural lip.

The struggle is real.