Valued Contributor

Re: More Organic or ""Healthier"" Skincare

On 5/9/2014 Pak5143 said:

Have you tried Egyptian Magic? It's only got 6 ingredients: olive oil, bees wax, honey, bee pollen, royal jelly extract & bee propolis. No synthetic preservatives or fragrances added. You can get it at Costco.

I love the smell of it...

Valued Contributor

On 5/9/2014 blahblahvampemerblah said:

NO, it does not absorb that much. The ONLY things that can go into the skin are those that have a molecular structure small enough to do so. Even then, it doesn't mean it will go INTO the skin.

I've been studying the cosmetics industry for over 30 years, I've picked the brains of cosmetic chemists, and no, it's not better. Not only will it not work better, but you can also increase your chance of an allergic reaction. You can die from consuming too much water, and if you haven't looked at the periodic table of elements lately, there's a lot of "natural" toxic substances out there. The mercury in the oceans? Put there by underwater volcanoes.

Natural just isn't better or healthier, and I've caught a lot of vendors outright lying about their products.

Have you heard the term NANO??? Pick the brains of people not serving their own interest in the industry.

A woman athlete DIED from using too much BEN GAY. Nicotine patches, medicines, all transdermal as are many other products. Bath products are known to contain specific ingreds that penetrate the skin barrier much more easily when used in hot water.The cosmetic industry makes billions, lol, they keep things under control in the media.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried Egyptian Magic? It's only got 6 ingredients: olive oil, bees wax, honey, bee pollen, royal jelly extract & bee propolis. No synthetic preservatives or fragrances added. You can get it at Costco.

I've heard great things about it. Sounds great!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Skin is a living and breathing thing and does absorb - many medications are delivered via skin patches these days because when given orally they cause nausea, and through the skin has been shown to be a very effective delivery method. For instance - HRT is given via a skin patch - seasickness medicine (scopolamine) is delivered via a patch - as well as nitroglycerine for cardiac patients. And many others.

This is a reason i am against putting on sunscreen first thing in the AM and leaving it on all day as some folks do - those chemicals are getting absorbed into the body and have been shown to be carcinogens. I put on sunscreen immediately before going to the pool and shower to wash it off as soon as I get home from the pool.

Contributor

I've never heard of this but it sounds very interesting. For those that use it, does it work well for dry skin? Thanks for sharing!
Respected Contributor

On 5/8/2014 ennui1 said:
On 5/8/2014 BBChin said:

Did you know that the skin on your body is the largest organ and that it absorbs at least 65% of what you put on it?

So, I can get drunk by sticking my finger is a glass of vodka?

Yes if enough time is allowed and it is mixed with a chemical like DMSO that allows for the absorption of most anything through the skin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyl_sulfoxide) The new thing of alcohol and drug absorption is through the more private parts of the body via feminine inserts, tampax, or just a finger insert. Super absorbent in those regions.

Frequent Contributor

Tata Harper?

Honored Contributor

I switched over to acure organics and they offer some awesome products. Love the night cream, line eraser and lavender body lotion (my favs). Reasonably priced too (under $20).

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

So the topical testosterone cream which is compounded for me doesn't penetrate my skin to perform as intended - to provide more testosterone in the body? Why would the doctor bother? I'm not being sarcastic, I'd really like to know.

Respected Contributor

On 5/10/2014 KatCat1 said:

I switched over to acure organics and they offer some awesome products. Love the night cream, line eraser and lavender body lotion (my favs). Reasonably priced too (under $20).

I use several Acure products too. I feel better about it-- and they perform nicely.