Occasional Contributor

More Organic or "Healthier" Skincare

Did you know that the skin on your body is the largest organ and that it absorbs at least 65% of what you put on it? So, please QVC, sell more organic or "healthier" skin care. Such brands are great, and they work: Jurlique, Mychelle, Acure Organics, Out of Africa Shea Butter, A La Maison. Please think about it. Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: More Organic or ""Healthier"" Skincare

On 5/8/2014 BBChin said:

Did you know that the skin on your body is the largest organ and that it absorbs at least 65% of what you put on it?

So, I can get drunk by sticking my finger is a glass of vodka?

Honored Contributor

Did you know that the main function of your skin is to act as a barrier? So, no, very few chemicals can be absorbed by your skin unless they have been produced for that very very purpose.

This is a fear-mongering myth perpetuated by the "natural" skin care and cosmetics industry.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

NO, it does not absorb that much. The ONLY things that can go into the skin are those that have a molecular structure small enough to do so. Even then, it doesn't mean it will go INTO the skin.

I've been studying the cosmetics industry for over 30 years, I've picked the brains of cosmetic chemists, and no, it's not better. Not only will it not work better, but you can also increase your chance of an allergic reaction. You can die from consuming too much water, and if you haven't looked at the periodic table of elements lately, there's a lot of "natural" toxic substances out there. The mercury in the oceans? Put there by underwater volcanoes.

Natural just isn't better or healthier, and I've caught a lot of vendors outright lying about their products.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

People believing in junk science like this is the reason we're seeing outbreaks of diseases that we got rid of years ago. Please do your research. "Organic" isn't a regulated term and probably doesn't mean what you think it means. Saying something is "healthier" implies that something else isn't healthy and there are a lot of ingredients that people are avoiding without knowing why or realizing that there's no evidence that they're bad for us.

Check out all of these people who are going gluten-free for their health, even though none of them can even tell someone else what gluten is:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/jimmy-kimmel-asks-what-is-gluten-23655461

Do the research before you decide what's healthy and what isn't, don't just follow the crowd and get stuck realizing you don't know what a paraben is or why you might avoid them.

Frequent Contributor

Have you tried Egyptian Magic? It's only got 6 ingredients: olive oil, bees wax, honey, bee pollen, royal jelly extract & bee propolis. No synthetic preservatives or fragrances added. You can get it at Costco.

Frequent Contributor

Have you tried Egyptian Magic? It's only got 6 ingredients: olive oil, bees wax, honey, bee pollen, royal jelly extract & bee propolis. No synthetic preservatives or fragrances added. You can get it at Costco.

Super Contributor

On 5/9/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Did you know that the main function of your skin is to act as a barrier? So, no, very few chemicals can be absorbed by your skin unless they have been produced for that very very purpose.

This is a fear-mongering myth perpetuated by the "natural" skin care and cosmetics industry.

Years ago the thought of administering medicine topically would have been dismissed as ludicrous. I think they're still learning about what our skin can and can't absorb, as well as developing new formulations to better penetrate our skin more effectively.

Regardless of how much is absorbed, and understanding that many people will react negatively or allergically to "natural" ingredients, I still don't relish the idea of putting petroleum products and known toxins on my skin (unless it's Botox, of course. :-)

It's a tough call -- both "natural" and "chemical" have their merits. It's never easy, is it?

Valued Contributor

On 5/8/2014 ennui1 said:
On 5/8/2014 BBChin said:

Did you know that the skin on your body is the largest organ and that it absorbs at least 65% of what you put on it?

So, I can get drunk by sticking my finger is a glass of vodka?

Ignorance is bliss, you can get cancer. Excellant suggestion OP.