Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

There was a thread last night that made me think it might be nice to have a thread for everyone to post their money saving tips. You know, like brand dupes, everyday household items that also perform well as beauty items, etc.

I'll start us off.

Do you use facial wipes? Huggies Natural Care Baby Wipes do an excellent job of cleansing and removing makeup, with no fragrance to irritate or cause breakouts and leave no residue. They are thick and soft and larger than the average facial wipe. At less than $3 for a box of 64 they are much more economical.

There have been lots of complaints about formula and fragrance changes to our much loved Philosophy Body Washes. Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Body Wash is very nice. Makes a rich, thick lather on a bath poof, cleanses and moisturizes and rinses clean. The fragrance is very soft, so it wont replace that aspect of Philosophy, but at around $7 for a good size bottle, it's now my body wash of choice. It's readily available at most drugstores and "Mart" stores.

Clogged hairspray nozzle? Alcohol prep pads, available at Walmart for $1 for 100. Wipe the nozzle, instant clog clear. You can also do this a couple times a week as a preventative. You can also do the same thing by dipping a QTip in alcohol and cleaning the nozzle.

What's your favorite money saving beauty buy?Smile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Re: Money Saving Beauty Tips

I am using up my hair conditioners as shaving cream for my legs. Works so well and no dryness.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/5/2015 wagirl said:

I am using up my hair conditioners as shaving cream for my legs. Works so well and no dryness.

That's a good tip. I always use shampoo up faster than conditioner, so that will work greatSmile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

Conditioner as shaving cream has been a life saver for me. No matter what I used my legs would always be very itchy and irritated after shaving. No problems with that, now that I'm using conditioner.

Respected Contributor

Im in love with Dove shower gels? I learned about them on this forum. Smiley Happy several to choose from. Better than Philosophy.
Super Contributor

Have been using conditioner to shave for years.

Regular olive oil makes a good deep conditioner, leave on for 15 minutes.

Whipped egg whites make a terrific facial mask....leave on until dried (you will look scary!) and rinse.

Add a bit of water to sugar to form a milky paste, use as body exfoliator. Rub gently.

Noxema for sunburns. Also aloe gel--can get a large bottle at CVS for a few dollars.

Break open an aloe leaf or vitamin E capsule to help scars heal.

Plain toothpaste cleans and polishes sterling silver and diamonds.

I once had a very bad semi-permanent hair color done and removed most of it with Prell and Dawn dish detergent. This is very drying and should be followed with a few deep conditioning sessions.

Frequent Contributor

I often use brow powder or eyeshadow to cover my roots, especially grey hairs in between hair appointments.
Esteemed Contributor

Great tips ladies. Thanks for posting

Regular Contributor

Here's a tip I got years ago on these boards. Liquid hand soap can get expensive to buy, especially if you use a lot. So take an empty foaming hand soap bottle, fill about 3/4 full with warm-ish water and 1/4 full of clear (not creamy) body wash in that order, then turn the bottle upside down for a few minutes to mix and voila! A bottle of foaming hand wash for pennies! If you like thinner foam, use more water and less body wash.

Honored Contributor

On 4/5/2015 Kati said:

Here's a tip I got years ago on these boards. Liquid hand soap can get expensive to buy, especially if you use a lot. So take an empty foaming hand soap bottle, fill about 3/4 full with warm-ish water and 1/4 full of clear (not creamy) body wash in that order, then turn the bottle upside down for a few minutes to mix and voila! A bottle of foaming hand wash for pennies! If you like thinner foam, use more water and less body wash.

I had a lady at Walmart tell me this trick when I was buying foam soap.

Works like a charmSmile