Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Moisturizer with Sun Protection?

@Julie928...a good one to try is Paula’s Choice.  It has the SPF 30 you are looking for, and although it is made for dry/very dry skin, I am on the opinion it is light enough for normal/combination skin, too.

02B41867-BBAA-4A49-9173-44CE8B9C9F6D.jpeg

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Garnier makes 2 moisturizers  with 15 or 30SPF called

Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Sunscreen Brightening & Smoothing Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15

Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Sun Damage Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30

Both are in pump bottles. 

Ideally an actual just sunscreen product should should be applied first, then a moisturizer allowing the sunscreen to dry first before applying the moisturizer. 

I use the SPF 30 Garnier version when I am outside gardening. A tip: can’t get the last little bit out of a tube of sunscreen? Squeeze the remains into this empty pump bottle and use. 

@JustJazzmom, actually, check out this recent article.

So I should reverse my order then, & apply sunscreen last?

That's what's recommended @JustJazzmom

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Garnier makes 2 moisturizers  with 15 or 30SPF called

Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Sunscreen Brightening & Smoothing Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15

Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Sun Damage Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30

Both are in pump bottles. 

Ideally an actual just sunscreen product should should be applied first, then a moisturizer allowing the sunscreen to dry first before applying the moisturizer. 

I use the SPF 30 Garnier version when I am outside gardening. A tip: can’t get the last little bit out of a tube of sunscreen? Squeeze the remains into this empty pump bottle and use. 

@JustJazzmom, actually, check out this recent article.

So I should reverse my order then, & apply sunscreen last?

@JustJazzmom, yup. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Lucky Dog wrote:

Another vote for Elta MD  clear SPF 46.  It feels like water ,as far as consistency , when spreading it on the skin.  I don't know how they do it.

Sounds good, but is it matte?

@Lucky Dog

@Texasmouse,@judaline,

Not too matte.  It is advertized as being good for acne-prone skin.

Thanks, if there's anything I don't need it's more moisture. I have a serum, a lotion, and a potion to go over these that seals it all in with anti-oxidants. Sunscreen goes on top of this and I want a mineral sunscreen that is matte because of all the sheen from the other 3 products. But I'm happy with them and don't want to switch. Thx

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

@beach-mom

I think other derms will recommend higher SPF because people generally don't apply an adequate layer of sunscreen. Therefore, a higher SPF just ensures you're getting more protection, taking human error into account. 

@Texasmouse - I think what my dermatologist meant was something like this in a Reader's Digest article. She said  SPF20-30 is fine for everyday use, AS LONG AS I keep applying it. I don't. I put it on in the morning and unless I'm outside I don't put it on again. When I'm at the beach I use a higher SPF AND I apply it constantly. I'm one who burns easily, so I have to. I started wearing sunscreen every day in my 20's, after getting a horrible burn on my nose watching my students on the field on a cool but sunny day in spring. I didn't know any better back then!

"The FDA is still debating the merits of super-high SPFs, but many derms agree that there are meaningful differences between 15, 30, and 50, especially because we’re just so bad at applying sunscreen properly. “If you use SPF 50, you really get the protection of an SPF 20 based on how people actually apply it,” says New York City dermatologist Doris Day, MD. That includes both applying too little in the first place and not reapplying often enough (every two hours or so when you’re at the beach or pool all day). The doctors we talked to generally recommended a minimum of SPF 30 for everyday sunscreen and SPF 50 for long stints outside."

Trusted Contributor

Philosophy ultimate miracle worker has 30 spf. I use it daily and it works very well for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a heads up for those interested or using EltaMD. Lovely skin is having a 20% sale.

Costco's offering MD Solar Science Mineral spf48 4oz for $15.

Also offered, Tatcha Silken Pore Perfecting spf35 2oz $40.00