Respected Contributor

Re: Moisturizer with Sun Protection?

@Shanus wrote:

@Julie928 wrote:

Hello everyone!  I am hoping to get the name of a good moisturizer with (preferably) SPF 30.  I spend a lot of time working in the garden and would really like to have some additional protection from the sun.

I looked at Target earlier and they only had one or two brands ~ one was the Target brand and the other (can't remember the name) I never heard of.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks very much!

@Julie928. Unfortunately in my search for a product that had a high enough SPF and a good moisturizer (not just adequate), I was always disappointed. I finally added a dollop of my usual moisturizer to my spf. Now I have the best solution and saved myself an extra step.

@Shanus, you'd probably be better served by applying your moisturizer first, followed by your sunscreen. I know it's an extra step but mixing the two dilutes the amount of SPF in your sunscreen.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Julie928 wrote:

Hello everyone!  I am hoping to get the name of a good moisturizer with (preferably) SPF 30.  I spend a lot of time working in the garden and would really like to have some additional protection from the sun.

I looked at Target earlier and they only had one or two brands ~ one was the Target brand and the other (can't remember the name) I never heard of.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks very much!

@Julie928. Unfortunately in my search for a product that had a high enough SPF and a good moisturizer (not just adequate), I was always disappointed. I finally added a dollop of my usual moisturizer to my spf. Now I have the best solution and saved myself an extra step.

@Shanus, you'd probably be better served by applying your moisturizer first, followed by your sunscreen. I know it's an extra step but mixing the two dilutes the amount of SPF in your sunscreen.

@Texasmouse  No. In my case, in the summer, I only need a tiny amount of moisturizer.

Trusted Contributor

@Julie928,

Rather than a moisturizer with 30 spf, how about a moisturizing sunscreen?

1.  Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Lotion, spf 50.  This one is more light lotion than gel in consistency, pale aqua in color, has a light fragrance that doesn't linger, non-greasy but does leave a shine (not a matte finish).

2.  Emilia Naked Sun spf 50 Invisible Face Gel (just found this one at WalMart).  This one is a gel consistency, clear in color, has a slight beachy sunscreen fragrance that lingers but not as obnoxious as Coppertone sunscreen.  This one reminds me of a silicone makeup primer with sunscreen and would probably work well under makeup.  Leaves a shine (not a matte finish), non-greasy.

Respected Contributor

My derma strongly recommends using only sunscreens with zinc oxcide in them.  Neutrogena sells one called Sheer Zinc face dry-touch. She actually uses it.  It is not an actual moisturizer but you can put it over one.  

Super Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Lucky Dog wrote:

Another vote for Elta MD  clear SPF 46.  It feels like water ,as far as consistency , when spreading it on the skin.  I don't know how they do it.

Sounds good, but is it matte?

@Lucky Dog

@Texasmouse,@judaline,

Not too matte.  It is advertized as being good for acne-prone skin.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Garnier makes 2 moisturizers  with 15 or 30SPF called

Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Sunscreen Brightening & Smoothing Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15

Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Sun Damage Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30

Both are in pump bottles. 

Ideally an actual just sunscreen product should should be applied first, then a moisturizer allowing the sunscreen to dry first before applying the moisturizer. 

I use the SPF 30 Garnier version when I am outside gardening. A tip: can’t get the last little bit out of a tube of sunscreen? Squeeze the remains into this empty pump bottle and use. 

@JustJazzmom, actually, check out this recent article.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I wear Josie Maran's Protect and Perfect SPF47 every day, rain or shine, inside or out. I put it on - it goes on white, pushing it in my skin, then wait a few minutes before I apply my primer for regular foundation, or a tinted moisturizer (don't use primer with this). I also have the tinted version of this, and sometimes I wear this alone. 

My dermatologist says the same thing others have said - you have to keep applying it over and over. I don't do that on a regular day. If I'm outside a lot, I do. She also says anything over SPF20 is excess. I just like Josie's formula! My skin is combination, not really dry or oily. 

If I'm sitting at the beach or by the pool with no makeup at all I switch to Ocean Potion. She recommended that too!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Very helpful article @suzyQ3. Confirms what I've always thought.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

I wear Josie Maran's Protect and Perfect SPF47 every day, rain or shine, inside or out. I put it on - it goes on white, pushing it in my skin, then wait a few minutes before I apply my primer for regular foundation, or a tinted moisturizer (don't use primer with this). I also have the tinted version of this, and sometimes I wear this alone. 

My dermatologist says the same thing others have said - you have to keep applying it over and over. I don't do that on a regular day. If I'm outside a lot, I do. She also says anything over SPF20 is excess. I just like Josie's formula! My skin is combination, not really dry or oily. 

If I'm sitting at the beach or by the pool with no makeup at all I switch to Ocean Potion. She recommended that too!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom

I think other derms will recommend higher SPF because people generally don't apply an adequate layer of sunscreen. Therefore, a higher SPF just ensures you're getting more protection, taking human error into account. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Garnier makes 2 moisturizers  with 15 or 30SPF called

Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Sunscreen Brightening & Smoothing Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15

Garnier SkinActive Clearly Brighter Anti-Sun Damage Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30

Both are in pump bottles. 

Ideally an actual just sunscreen product should should be applied first, then a moisturizer allowing the sunscreen to dry first before applying the moisturizer. 

I use the SPF 30 Garnier version when I am outside gardening. A tip: can’t get the last little bit out of a tube of sunscreen? Squeeze the remains into this empty pump bottle and use. 

@JustJazzmom, actually, check out this recent article.

So I should reverse my order then, & apply sunscreen last?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼