Respected Contributor

Moisturizer Rec for Oily Skin

[ Edited ]

I have been using Dr. Perricone's Hypoallergenic Moisturizer until as of late.  The container I received from the same seller as before contained more olive oil in it than the one I had previously ordered and used until there was no more.  I contacted the seller and she would not take it back.  Understandable.

In the meantime, I've been using Merle Norman's oil-free moisturizer, but it still casts an oily feel and look to my face.

To complicate matters, I have very sensitive skin so cannot tolerate any alcohol, retinol, and fruit extracts.  Smiley Sad

Any recs?  TIA

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Moisturizer Rec for Oily Skin

Have you ever used Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel? That one is oil-free and worked well for me back when I had more oily skin.

When my skin was oily and it was hot and humid in the summer, I could even get away with just Clinique's Moisture Surge Face Spray.

The Moisture Surge Extended Thirst Relief Cream Gel also worked well for me when I was oilier.

Right now I use the Josie Maran Face Butter and I think that one would work on oily skin, too. It has argan oil, but it's light and cooling and not too heavy. My skin has gotten dryer in my 40s and I need to use the Argan Milk under the Face Butter most of the time for it to be moisturizing enough for me. I think I would have liked it when I was oilier, too. When it's humid here and I'm not so dry, I use it without the Argan Milk under it and it works well.

Respected Contributor

Wen's 319 Nourishing Body Treatment moisturizer. It says body but is for the face too - head to toe. I am very oily, have been all my life. This is the best moistuizer I have ever put on my face - and I have tried a ton. Absorbs immediately, is not greasy, and will not make you oily. Love it!!

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue

Thanks for the rec.  I'll certainly look into it. At 70 one would think oiliness would not be an issue.  (((sigh)))

The upside to having oily skin is that wrinkles are few - so I guess it's a trade-off.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

I am old & oily. Under makeup I use Boscia Oil Free Daily Hydration SPF15. It's the only thing that controls my oil & gives me hydration. At night I use JM Argan Milk & I did use it some in the winter under my makeup.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I feel your pain!

So many companies focus heavily on dry skin products.  Not so much out there for oily, or combo-oily (me) skin.

I usually use only serums in the summer.

@pommom

Are you able to use hydrogen peroxide?  I use it lightly as a toner between wash & serum in the summer.

Please post what your search yealds.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pommom,     You may want to stop in a Macy's and try Origins Make a Difference for oily skin.  You can probably get a sample.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Have you ever used Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel? That one is oil-free and worked well for me back when I had more oily skin.

This is a great moisturizer for oily skin. It's one of the few moisturizers that never makes me breakout. It gives enough hydration without making you any oilier.

Respected Contributor

I have used and liked Kate Somerville oil free moisturizer.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Another "Old and Oily" here.   I also recommend Clinique's Dramatically Different Gel.  I also can use any lotion-type moisturizer, like Olay's basic from the drugstore.  Or Neutrogena's Moisture Boost Gel.  I've been fighting super oily skin, and sensitive skin, since I was a teenager in the 60's.  An oil-free lotion or gel moisturizer works for me.

.... but everyone's complexion is different. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt