Respected Contributor

Re: Moisturizer Creams That Come in Tubs, Any Reviews?

Last year I bought a tub of moisturizer from Murad. It is wonderful. Very light and not greasy on my skin. I only use it for my legs and arms. It is expensive and I just ordered another one, but used a coupon code for 20% off. The rest of my body I still use my JM body butter. I love that Murad one though. I have dry skin and need moisture! 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@SoonerThis is my opinion --  when you purchase the moisturizer in a tub, everytime you open it, it is exposed to air thus aging it.  I do not like anything SUPER size -- argan oil, moisturizer, body lotion, etc.  Cat Very Happy

Squeeze bottles or pumps are all exposed to air too. After all, air is taking the place of the product as it's used up. You pump or squeeze out product, air is sucked right back into the container. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@SoonerThis is my opinion --  when you purchase the moisturizer in a tub, everytime you open it, it is exposed to air thus aging it.  I do not like anything SUPER size -- argan oil, moisturizer, body lotion, etc.  Cat Very Happy

Squeeze bottles or pumps are all exposed to air too. After all, air is taking the place of the product as it's used up. You pump or squeeze out product, air is sucked right back into the container. 

@jaxs mom

Hello @jaxs mom ,

The concern I have with tubs is not SO much that the air touches them, it's the constant dipping of my hands in and out of the product + the air.  

For that reason I use a clean spoon to transfer some of my wonderful 20 oz WEN Body Moisturizing Cream into a smaller (much smaller :0>) 2 oz jar.  

I try to ALWAYS wash my hands before using, and I know that moving to a smaller jar is a bit OCD, but I am what I am! Smiley Happy

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

The best moisturizer I have ever used is Ultra Repair Creme in a 14oz. tub, it's expensive, but I've tried just about everything.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner When I get a supersized body cream, I take some product out & put it in a smaller jar. This way the larger Jar is not exposed to air & also helps keep the cream last much! longer than the exp. date.

Honored Contributor

I used to be more strict about using a cosmetic spatula for jarred products but not so much anymore.  I had a thought regarding the contamination of jarred products when dipping your finger in and I'm just not so sure that it's that much of a big deal.  When you dip a finger or two into the jar of cream, they're covered with the said cream that gets pulled away so how is the remaining cream actually getting contaminated?

Occasional Contributor

I bought the Vitamin C and Coconut Oil creams by NatureWell a few weeks ago at Sam's Club.  I really like both of them.  They absorb quickly and have a light fragrance.  The Vitamin C tub comes with a pump but the Coconut Oil does not.  I just take a small jar, like a travel size, and scoop the cream into that every few days just to be more sanitary.  I prefer not to keep dipping my fingers into such a large jar.  I think the price is great for the amount of product you get and would purchase again.  I haven't tried the Cherry Blossom product.  I also like the Cerave products. 

Honored Contributor

I went to sams club today, bought the natuewell body lotion in the tub,and shower body wash ,it is nice tub was only $4.95 they had several products in this line.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

If you dip your finger into a tub product, you end up having exposed more of the product than you realize to possible contamination. You can't possibly remove product without leaving behind bacteria or other types of contamination.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch. I don't worry about it either. My hands are clean. That's why they put preservatives in them. I have never gotten blemishes or infection on my face. I also put Clarisonic brushes in the dishwasher lol. 

Much of this fear of contamination is a marketing tool. Do people really think a bacteria will wait 3 months in mascara or a brush before it decides to grow? I use mascara until it's gone or dried up, never got and eye infection.

I have had some oils go bad. But makeup and creams I have for years stay good.

As long as you are the only one using items it's safe.