Respected Contributor

Re: Mixed reviews, reluctant to try. How does Wen compare to philosophy hair products?

On 8/11/2014 sailor moon said: I wonder why Shear Splendor contains salt and caustic soda aka lye, are those ingredients beneficial for the hair?

LOL, you should go ask that on the philosophy forum! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Frequent Contributor

Re: Mixed reviews, reluctant to try. How does Wen compare to philosophy hair products?

I just think of Philosophy products as "smell-good" products, not as quality products with beneficial results.

Honored Contributor

I LOVED shear splendor deep conditioner back in the day but I have no idea if the one they re-introduced now is even the same ingredients. Other than that, I didn't like their shampoos and conditioners as they were drying to my hair.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/11/2014 sailor moon said: I wonder why Shear Splendor contains salt and caustic soda aka lye, are those ingredients beneficial for the hair?

The ingredients on the label aren't what's in the bottle.

Lye (sodium hydroxide) is used to cheaply change the pH. After it does it's job, it's dead. It's now water and the salt of whatever acid it neutralized.

Salt (sodium hydroxide) disassociates to prevent or stop an ongoing chemical reaction in another chemical process.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

I've tried the Philosophy and it's great as far as scent, but doesn't clean as well as I'd like.

I've tried WEN with mixed results and it tends to weigh my hair down some. I'll admit it cleans well, but just the texture is off-putting. Smell is always wonderful.

I keep looking for a good solution.

Respected Contributor

On 8/11/2014 Ptaz said:

I've tried the Philosophy and it's great as far as scent, but doesn't clean as well as I'd like.

I've tried WEN with mixed results and it tends to weigh my hair down some. I'll admit it cleans well, but just the texture is off-putting. Smell is always wonderful.

I keep looking for a good solution.

It sounds like you are happy with Wen but may not be using the right formula for your hair. What type of hair do you have?

Trusted Contributor

On 8/11/2014 HonnyBrown said:

The ingredients on the label aren't what's in the bottle.

Lye (sodium hydroxide) is used to cheaply change the pH. After it does it's job, it's dead. It's now water and the salt of whatever acid it neutralized.

Salt (sodium hydroxide) disassociates to prevent or stop an ongoing chemical reaction in another chemical process.

Thanks for the info HB. I think I'll stick with Wen and its uncomplicated cleansing process.
☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Trusted Contributor

On 8/11/2014 WenGirl42 said:

LOL, you should go ask that on the philosophy forum! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Many philosophy users think the products have changed since Coty bought the company.
☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Respected Contributor

I only tried Philosophy hair care once, years ago, before Christina Carlino sold the company, and I was not impressed back then, the shampoo made my scalp i*t*c*h like crazy and the conditioner would not rinse cleanly, and left my hair stringy. I sent it back for a refund. I went back to locally available shampoo and conditioner until I got brave enough to try WEN, and once I found good and great formulas for my hair, I've never looked back. I am mildly allergic to lavender and don't like the smell of the POM, and Fig can be a bit too heavy, but TT, CA, and SAM all work wonders, and I love half the seasonals, and hope to stock back up on WVM if it comes back in stock this year. IMHO, there's no comparison between Philosophy products and WEN, and WEN wins the race by 30+ lengths, going away! It's like putting a plough horse into the gate next to a Thoroughbred, the contest is so lopsided.

Frequent Contributor

On 8/11/2014 sailor moon said:
On 8/11/2014 WenGirl42 said:

Many philosophy users think the products have changed since Coty bought the company.

Yes, the products did change, sailor moon; that's an understatement! {#emotions_dlg.huh}

You're better off going with the WEN for sure!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}