Trusted Contributor

Re: Mirrors and Light that scares me-

It depends on what kind of light bulbs you have.  Warm light or cool light . To me all newer bulbs are cool which turn your skin blue.

Honored Contributor

I look terrible in outdoor lighting, very harsh.  I guess it's a good thing we have a lot of shade.  I also look terrible when I look down into a mirror.  That's why I always take my selfies looking up into the phone's camera.

Honored Contributor

No one looks good facing down or looking down into a camera. That's also true for overhead lighting that casts Shadows on the face and accentuates things like under eye bags. You can search Google for the best angles for selfies.  If you find yourself needing to take photos of people outside in bright overhead lighting you can use your camera's Flash to eliminate the facial Shadows that the Sun causes

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

We often eat dinner with the lights dimmed to somewhat mimic Candlelight. Whether it's pendants Over the Bar or the chandelier over the dining room table we like to lower the lights. I would eat with them even lower but DH claims he can't see what he's eating.  

When I was researching our last vacation to Las Vegas, I found a restaurant on the strip where you eat in total darkness. You have an idea of what you're eating, chicken beef or fish, but that's about it. I wanted to try it but my husband was it interested in the idea. Party pooper.

Honored Contributor

All the newer lights are LED and as of yet they cannot turn that deep Orange that an incandescent bulb can do when turned down low.  My house is about half and half incandescent and LED.  Some areas I refuse to "upgrade" to LED until there are no incandescent bulbs left to buy

Respected Contributor

For me the worst is when I get my hair cut.  I do not like the looks of that person in the chair.  I think at the time that no hair cut is going to help that face.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions. I will check the bulbs!  But I think lighting from the side makes you look good (and of course dimmer lighting as well 🤣)- I have seen that in some store try-on dressing rooms. 

So in my dopey powder room, where I see my reflection many times a day and believe me, it's cringe-worthy- I am not giving up trying other mirrors in there!  

There is a cabinet on the back wall, where I am going to try to mount a mirror inside the door, and see if it helps-  I'll keep ya posted!  Never stop trying beauties!! 👍🏼💐👏🏼💪🏽