Respected Contributor

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall ...

[ Edited ]

The bathroom vanities in my new house are deeper and taller than the ones in my last house. I'm 5'4" tall. That means I can't stretch or bend to get a close look into the mirror above the sink when I'm styling/cutting/coloring my hair or occasionally putting on makeup, like I could in my previous house.

I bought a mirror on a stand that has a little tray and has 3x magnification on one side. The magnification side seems a little distorted to me. So, I ordered a different vanity mirror that hasn't arrived yet.

I can't attach another mirror to any walls in the bathrooms, and I don't think I need a lighted mirror. I've read reviews on different websites on how some lighted mirrors are way too bright and some magnified mirrors are too distorted.

Any recommendations on a free-standing vanity mirror?

TIA

Trusted Contributor

Re: Mirror, Mirror on the Wall ...

How about going in another direction-- find a step stool that you keep where you like to use the vanity mirror.  

Respected Contributor

Not even a small wall spot where you could attach a scissor extension mirror? Like 4"x4" or 2"x6"?

Respected Contributor

What @PickyPicky3  said, an extendable side mirror.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3  @Lilysmom1   On one side, there's a half-wall and on the other side is a tall bathroom linen closet/cupboard that I wouldn't want to drill or nail into. Behind and across are towel bars. The walk-in shower takes up a lot of room and so do the 2 sinks. I've been putting on makeup and then trying to wipe off where I may have messed up when I look in the free-standing vanity mirror that I have. And yesterday, I gave myself a haircut and I had to keep touching it up after looking in the free-standing mirror. The taller vanities aren't meant for me LOL.

Respected Contributor

Would it be possible to use an over-the-door hook on the linen closet door and find a way to hang a mirror from that? It would probably have to be a lighted one, but at least you could get close.

You could put it away when not using it, or not. 

There's a solution to every bathroom challenge.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily 

Is it possible to create a vanity/vanity stool space with a  magnification mirror on your counter?

I don't know how women can apply makeup standing up. I have done hair/makeup seated for so long, I can't really do it any other way. I even pack a makeup mirror when traveling.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3There's not much space on the tall cabinet door, but I will look online to see what I can find and try that. Thanks! A lighted mirror there would work for makeup. When I'm cutting or coloring my hair, I cover the vanity top with plastic and paper towels. I suppose I could put plastic on the right vanity and cover the floor.

@magicmoodzThank you for the idea! I have a small ivory "vanity" in my bedroom that I put my printer on. It has draws for makeup, but I've kept printer paper and ink in them. If I can't get a mirror to work well in the bathroom, I can put the printer upstairs, use the bedroom "vanity", and get a lighted free-standing mirror for it.